What is a Semigroup and How Does it Relate to Immeasurable Sets?

In summary: As this is a standard result, I'll only provide the argument: let $X$ be the space of continuous functions $f$ defined on $[0,1]$ such that $$\|f\|_X := \sup_{x\in [0,1]} \left|f(x) - \sin x - \int_0^1 f(y) e^{-x-y-1}\, dy\right| < \infty.$$Clearly, $\|\cdot\|_X$ is a norm on $X$. Define $$\mathcal{T}(f)(x) = \sin x + \int_0^1 f(y) e^{-x-y-1}\
simpleton1
Hi,

I'm taking a course in functional analysis and having some trouble with the following questions :

1. L1(R) is the space of absolutely integrable functions on R with the norm integrate(abs(f(x)) over -inf to +inf.
Define a linear operator from L1(R) to L1(R) as A(f)(x)=integrate (f(x-y)/(1+y^2))dy over -inf to +inf.
prove the operator is bound and find its norm.
I've integrated norm(A(f)(x)) to a double integral pi*integrate(integrate(abs(f(x-y))dydx over inf to +inf for both
integrals. I don't know how to proceed to show that it's a product of a constant and norm(f(x)).

2. Find the inverse operator for A(f)(x) = f(x)-0.5integrate(f(t)dt) from 0 to x. The operator is defined from C[0,1] to
C[0,1] where C[0,1] are the continuos functions in [0,1] with the supremom norm.
They say the inverse operator is of the form A^-1=f(x)+integrate(f(t)K(x-t)dt) from 0 to x.
previous sub questions which are to be used for solving this say that if A is a bound operator whose norm is
smaller than 1 then if B=I-A it is inversible and its inverse is B^-1=I+A+A^2...
another sub questions says the solution for differential equation g[n](x)=f(x),g[n-1](0)=...g'(0)=0
is 1/(n-1)!*integrate(f(t)(x-t)^n-1) from 0 to x.

3. Prove there one and only continuous function that solves the equation :
f(x) = sinx + integrate(f(y)exp(-x-y-1)dy over 0 to 1, x belongs to [0,1].
I've solved the equation and found the function by guessing a solution but don't know how to prove it's the only
solution.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello simpleton,

Welcome! (Wave) Since this is your first post, let me explain how you can improve your post with proper typesetting. Review the http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-tips-tutorials-56/mhb-latex-guide-pdf-1142.html to learn how to format equations and (particularly in your case) typeset integrals. Instead of writing

integrate(f(x-y)/(1 + y^2) dy) from -inf to inf

you can enter \$\$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{f(x-y)}{1+y^2}\, dy\$\$, which produces

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{f(x-y)}{1+y^2}\, dy.$$

Notice the dollar signs that wrap the integral expression. If you use single dollar signs, such as \$f(x)\$, you'll produce a math display $f(x)$ within the text, as you can see. But if you use two dollar signs, such as \$\$f(x)\$\$, then it'll result in a display line separate from text, like this:

$$f(x)$$

I hope these tips are clear to you. Now back to your questions.

1. Let $f\in \mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)$. By Minkowski's inequality,

$$\|A(f)\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)} \le \int_{-\infty}^\infty \left\|\frac{f(x - y)}{1+y^2}\right\|_{\mathcal{L}_x^1(\Bbb R)}\, dy = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\|f(x-y)\|_{\mathcal{L}^1_x(\Bbb R)}}{1+y^2}\, dy \overset{(*)}{=} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\|f\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)}}{1 + y^2}\, dy = \pi \|f\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)}.$$

The step $(*)$ is justified by the translation invariance of the Lebesgue measure on $\Bbb R$. Thus $\|A\| \le \pi$. To see that $\|A\| = \pi$, consider the function $f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-x^2}$, $-\infty < x < \infty$. Show that for this choice of $f$, $\|f\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)} = 1$ and $\|A(f)\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)} = \pi$. For this proves $\|A\| \ge \pi$, and hence $\|A\| = \pi$.

Remark. In case you're not aware of Minkowski's integral inequality, you can write this alternative: since for each $x\in \Bbb R$, $\lvert A(f)(x)\rvert \le \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{|f(x-y)|}{1+y^2}\, dy$, then

$$\|A(f)\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)} \le \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\lvert f(x-y)\rvert}{1 + y^2}\, dy\, dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert f(x-y)\rvert\, dx\, \frac{dy}{1+y^2},$$

using the Fubini-Tonelli theorem in the last step; by translation invariance

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert f(x-y)\rvert\, dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert f(x)\rvert\, dx = \|f\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)},$$

so indeed $\|A(f)\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)} \le \pi \|f\|_{\mathcal{L}^1(\Bbb R)}$.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________2. Let $f\in C[0,1]$. We want to solve the equation $A(g) = f$ for $g$. To do so, let

$$G(x) := \int_0^x g(t)\, dt \qquad (x\in [0,1]).$$

since $g\in C[0,1]$, $G$ is differentiable by the FTC (I'm using an abbreviation for the fundamental theorem of calculus) with

$$G'(x) = g(x) = A(g)(x) + 0.5\int_0^x g(t)\, dt = f(x) + 0.5G(x).$$

Since $G(0) = 0$, we have an IVP

$$G' - 0.5G = f,\, G(0) = 0.$$

An integrating factor for this ODE is $e^{-0.5x}$, so

$$(e^{-0.5x}G)' = f(x)e^{-0.5x}.$$

Therefore, since $G(0) = 0$,

$$e^{-0.5x}G(x) = \int_0^x f(t)e^{-0.5t}\, dt,$$

or

$$G(x) = \int_0^x f(t) e^{0.5(x-t)}\, dt.$$

Differentiating with respect to $x$, using FTC and the Leibniz rule we obtain

$$g(x) = f(x)e^{0.5(x-x)} + \int_0^x \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[f(t)e^{0.5(x-t)}]\, dt = f(x) + 0.5\int_0^x f(t)e^{0.5(x-t)}\, dt.$$

Hence, the inverse of $A$ is given by

$$A^{-1}(f)(x) = f(x) + 0.5\int_0^x f(t)e^{0.5(x-t)}\, dt \qquad (f\in C[0,1], x\in [0,1]).$$
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. It's great that you have found an explicit solution to the integral equation, but this question is a qualitative question regarding existence and uniqueness -- the key here is to apply Banach's contraction principle (or, as some call it, Banach's fixed point theorem).

Let's recall Banach's contraction principle. Suppose $(M,d)$ is a metric space. A contraction mapping on $M$ is a mapping $f : M \to M$ such that there is some $c\in (0,1)$ such that for all $x,y\in M$,

$$d(f(x),f(y)) \le c\, d(x,y).$$

The number $c$ is known as the contraction constant. Banach's contraction principle states that if $(M,d)$ is a complete metric space and $f$ is a contraction mapping on $M$, then $f$ has a unique fixed point.

To set up the Banach contraction scheme, define an operator $A : C[0,1] \to C[0,1]$ by the equation

$$A(f)(x) = \sin x + \int_0^1 f(y)e^{-x-y-1}\, dy.$$

The metric $d$ we'll use here is the one induced from the max norm, i.e.,

$$d(f,g) = \max\{\lvert f(x) - g(x)\rvert :x\in [0,1]\}.$$

For all $f, g\in C[0,1]$,

$$d(A(f),A(g)) \le \int_0^1 \lvert f(y) - g(y)\rvert e^{-y-1}\, dy \le e^{-1}d(f,g),$$

which means that $A$ is a contraction mapping on $C[0,1]$ with contraction contraction constant $e^{-1}$. As $(C[0,1],d)$ is complete, by Banach's contraction principle, there is a unique $f\in C[0,1]$ such that $A(f) = f$. Hence, your integral equation has a unique solution in $C[0,1]$.

Thank you very much!

Since you've been so helpful I want to ask two additional, simpler questions (hope I got the notation right) :

1. $$\left\lVert{P}\right\rVert = (\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {P}^{2} (\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\!{n}}))^\frac{1}{2}$$
where P is a polynomial defined over [0,1] and P(0)=0.
The question was to prove that P is finite in [0,1] and that it is a norm. I've done everything except prove
the traingle inequality - it seems to not hold because
$$\left\lVert{P+Q}\right\rVert = (\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} {(P+Q)}^{2} (\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\!{n}}))^\frac{1}{2} $$

2. E is an immeasurable group in (0,1) . Define function f = xIE + x^3IEc
where IE is the indicating function for E and IEc is the indicating function for E's complement.
a. Show that f's inverse is measurable over R (I've done it but not sure that correctly).
b. Is f measurable?

Last edited:
1. So you've defined, for all polynomials $P$ over $[0,1]$ with $P(0) = 0$,

$$\|P\| = \left[\sum_{n = 0}^\infty P^2\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right]^{1/2}.$$

Before discussing the triangle inequality, it's important to note why this norm makes sense, i.e., why the series above is convergent.

Suppose $P$ has degree $m > 1$, and let $c_1,\ldots, c_m$ be scalars such that for all $x\in [0,1]$,

$$P(x) = c_1x + c_2x^2 + \cdots + c_m x^m$$

(This can be done since $P(0) = 0$). Then for all $x\in [0,1]$,

$$|P(x)| = \lvert c_1 + c_2 x + \cdots + c_m x^{m-1}\rvert\, \lvert x \rvert \le C\lvert x\rvert,$$

where $C = |c_1| + \cdots + |c_m|$. Therefore

$$ P^2\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) \le \frac{C^2}{2^{2n}} \quad (n = 0, 1, 2, \ldots).$$

Since the geometric series $\sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{C^2}{2^{2n}}$ converges, then by direct comparison, the series $\sum_{n = 0}^\infty P^2(1/2^n)$ converges. Thus, $\|P\|$ is finite (in fact, bounded above by $2C/\sqrt{3}$).

Let $\Bbb N_0$ denote the set of whole numbers. Since

$$\|P\| = \left\|P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\|_{\ell^2(\Bbb N_0)}$$

and the triangle inequality holds for the $\ell^2$-norm on $\Bbb N_0$, then the triangle inequality holds for $\|\cdot \|$.Show me what you've done so far in part 2. so I can make comments.

Thanks again for your help.

About 1 - I'm still not sure how it can be that the triangle inequality holds since
$$(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(P+Q)}^{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{\!{n}})^{1/2}>\left\lVert{P+Q}\right\rVert$$
for polynomes.

About 2 - I didn't write the question in part a correctly. It was to prove that for every y$\in$R
${f}^{-1}(y)$ is measureable. I used the fact that for every y ${f}^{-1}(y)$ can receive between
0 and 2 values and since this is a finite group for every y it is also measureable.
for part b - I used the fact the ${I}_{{E}^{c}}= 1 - {I}_{E}$
so that $f(x) = x({I}_{E}(x)(1-{x}^{2})+1)$.
In order for f to be measureable ${f}^{-1}$ needs to transfer every Borel set to a Borel set.
That's where I got stuck since I couldn't prove that it does or doesn't do it.

Last edited:
The triangle inequality for $\mathcal{L}^p$-norms is known as Minkowski's inequality. In case you're not familiar with it, I'll prove from scratch that $\|\cdot \|$ satisfies the triangle inequality. To do so, I'll use the inequality

$$(x + y)^2 \le \lvert x\rvert \, \lvert x + y\rvert + \lvert y \rvert \, \lvert x + y\rvert$$

over the real numbers. It follows from the fact that $(x + y)^2 = |x + y|^2 = \lvert x + y\rvert \, \lvert x + y\rvert$ and $\lvert x + y\rvert \le \lvert x\rvert + \lvert y\rvert$.

Given polynomials $P, Q$ over $[0,1]$ with $P(0) = 0 = Q(0)$,

$$\|P + Q\|^2 = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \left[P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) + Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right]^2 \le \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \left\lvert P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert\, \left\lvert P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) + Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert + \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \left\lvert Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert\, \left\lvert P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) + Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert.\tag{1}$$

By the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality,

$$\sum_{n = 0}^\infty \left\lvert P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert\, \left\lvert P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) + Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert \le \left[\sum_{n = 0}^\infty P^2\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right]^{1/2}\left\{\sum_{n = 0}^\infty \left[P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) + Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right]^2\right\}^{1/2} = \|P\|\, \|P + Q\|\tag{2}$$

and similarly

$$\sum_{n = 0}^\infty \left\lvert Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert \, \left\lvert P\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right) + Q\left(\frac{1}{2^n}\right)\right\rvert \le \|Q\|\, \|P + Q\|.\tag{3}$$

Combining $(1), (2)$, and $(3)$,

$$\|P + Q\|^2 \le \|P\|\, \|P + Q\| + \|Q\|\, \|P + Q\| = (\|P\| + \|Q\|) \|P + Q\|.\tag{4}$$

If $\|P + Q\| = 0$, then the inequality $\|P + Q\| \le \|P\| + \|Q\|$ holds trivially, so suppose $\|P + Q\| > 0$. Dividing $(4)$ by $\|P + Q\|$, the triangle inequality is obtained.

With Question #2, is $E$ a group under multiplication or addition?

All it says is that E is an immeasureable group contained in (0,1).

Check in your text or with your professor for clarification of an immeasurable group. Just keep in mind, $E$ cannot be a group under usual multiplication or addition in $\Bbb R$, because closure under inverses would not be satisfied. The problem would make more sense if $E$ is an immeasurable semigroup in $(0,1)$.

Perhaps what is missing is that in this course when they say immeasureable it means
immeasureable by the lebesgue measure.
I would copy the question text directly but it's not in english so I just translated it.

That part is fine, but what about the group part? What is the operation on $E$?

I tried to ask the professor but he also didn't understand the question.
We didn't learn about semi-groups in this course.
Could you please try and solve under reasonable assumptions?

Also might help me solve this is if the compliment of an immeasureable group is measureable.
Or if the combination of a measureable or immeasureable function is immeasureable.
Can any of these be proven?

Hi simpleton,

I think that if the professor does not understand the question, then the question should not be assigned. However, I will say this: A semigroup is a set with an associative binary operation. Since $E$ is immeasurable, $E$ is nonempty. Assuming the binary operation on $E$ is multiplication of real numbers, then for all $y\in \Bbb R$,

$$f^{-1}\{y\} = \begin{cases}\{y\},& y\in E\\ \{\sqrt[3]{y}\},&y\notin E\end{cases}$$

Since one-point sets in $\Bbb R$ are measurable (since they are closed), then for all $y\in \Bbb R$, $f^{-1}\{y\}$ is measurable.

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear operators. It focuses on understanding the behavior and properties of abstract functions by analyzing their input and output values.

2. What is the purpose of functional analysis?

The main purpose of functional analysis is to provide a framework for studying and understanding various mathematical concepts, such as differential equations, optimization, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in engineering, economics, and other fields.

3. What are some common tools used in functional analysis?

Some common tools used in functional analysis include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, linear mappings, and spectral theory. These tools help to define and analyze properties of functions and their domains.

4. How is functional analysis related to other branches of mathematics?

Functional analysis has close connections with other branches of mathematics, such as topology, algebra, and differential equations. It provides a framework for studying these areas and can be used to solve problems in these fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has a wide range of real-world applications, including signal processing, image and data analysis, control theory, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in physics, economics, and computer science.