Is This Jawbone Human? A Scientific Approach to Identifying Fossils

• Thread starter Tiger Blood
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the discovery of a jawbone at a construction site that could potentially be human. The participants discussed the possibility of it being a human jawbone and suggested getting a size reference and photos for confirmation. It was also mentioned that the bone appeared to be old and may have been from an old cemetery in the area. The conversation ended with the speaker explaining that the bone was no longer visible as the construction workers had covered it with dirt, and the police were unable to locate it. The construction site was described as a large promenade and the speaker was the only one to report the discovery. The police spoke to the workers who claimed the dirt was from unknown locations and expressed annoyance that the discovery was not reported immediately
Tiger Blood
TL;DR Summary
Just need help in identifying jawbone
I was walking near the construction site and as they dig stuff out I saw a jawbone that could be human. So can someone tell me if it is human or not?

Jawb.jpg

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
Biology news on Phys.org
A size reference would certainly help. How about a photo with a ruler next to the bone? Preferably both inch and metric.

Likes jim mcnamara and pinball1970
I'm definitely not an expert, but looks human for me - and old.
Some old cemetery there, maybe?
Could you please provide a location?

Likes pinball1970
In size, it could be an adult human and I've shown it to an oral surgeon who said that it is a human jaw and I've contacted the police.

Likes Rive
That bone looks old, unlikely to be any crime-related. But at least the police will know who should be contacted and has the means to stop the construction till things got sorted out.

Could you please provide some information about the location? Not exact site, but country, city... Just being curious :)

Rive said:
... Just being curious :)
Me too! I was wondering what that hole was. Mental foreman? (google)
How did you know it was old? The teeth look in good condition.
Is it the scaly appearance of the bone rather than smooth? (just looking at images on google)

pinball1970 said:
How did you know it was old? The teeth look in good condition.
I'm no expert. It's just there was some old (1000+ years) graves (?) in the local sand mine in the village (archeologists were involved) where I grew up and (ugh :oops: ) we have messed with leftover bones there, so I have some basis for comparison...

Kinda' weird/absurd, actually o_O

Regarding the question ... How should I say... They look timeworn. Not smooth, cracks, crumbling, pieces falling off...

Likes pinball1970
Since you are so interested, Police came and picked me up to look for the jawbone but we could not find it anymore. Workers threw new piles of dirt on that place and I wasn't sure the exact location so we didn't exactly dig for it.

The building site is quite big, it's a promenade they've been working on since 2016. Sometimes in the evenings, I take a stroll where I saw this along with, no doubt, many other people but only I reported it.

One police officer talked to the guys at the construction site and they said how it was probably in the dirt they got shipped from, apparently, unknown locations.

They also got annoyed I didn't report it the same moment I discovered it, but I was not sure it was human. It's one of those moments where you don't believe your eyes.

Likes pinball1970

1. What is a jawbone?

A jawbone, also known as a mandible, is a bone in the skull that supports the lower teeth and helps with chewing and speaking.

2. How can I identify a jawbone?

A jawbone can be identified by its distinct shape, with a horseshoe-like curve and a flat base. It also has two bony protrusions on either side, known as the condyles, which connect to the skull.

3. What are some common features of a human jawbone?

Some common features of a human jawbone include its size, shape, and the presence of teeth. The jawbone also has a joint, called the temporomandibular joint, which allows for movement when chewing or speaking.

4. How can I differentiate between a human and animal jawbone?

One way to differentiate between a human and animal jawbone is by looking at the size and shape. Human jawbones are typically larger and have a more pronounced curve, while animal jawbones may vary in size and shape depending on the species.

5. Are there any other methods for identifying a jawbone?

Yes, there are other methods for identifying a jawbone, such as examining the teeth and dental structure. Additionally, DNA analysis can also be used to determine the species of the jawbone.