1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in integration

1. Jun 9, 2008 #1
    can someone integrate that problem

x^2 cos (x^5) dx

i tried integration by parts but i didn't get anything
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2008 #2
    There might be something wrong with the question if you are in an introductory course

some mess:

f =

>> int(f,x)

ans =

>> f = x^2*(cos(x))^5

f =

>> int(f,x)

ans =

4. Jun 9, 2008 #3
    no there is nothing wrong with the problem and iam in what called in our country differentiation and integration 2 like calculus 3
    and the original problem is from my exam {{ and i didn't solve it but i'm curious }}

given____ { int from 0 to 4 }{int from y^1/2 to 2 } cos(x^5) dx dy ____ reverse the order of integration and evaluate the resulting intgerals .

after reversing , it will be ______ x^2 cos (x^5) dx _______ and the inequalities dosent matter
  5. Jun 9, 2008 #4

You reversed the order of integration. You intergrate with wrt y first, dydx.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. Jun 10, 2008 #5
    so what is the solution of the integration pls
  7. Jun 10, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure it was [itex] \cos(x^5)[/itex]? You really couldn't integrate that on a test. The method for reversing the order of integration is fairly simple. You first need to sketch the area of integration on a graph and then find the limits for integrating over y with x constant and then the limits for integrating over x with y constant.
  8. Jun 11, 2008 #7
    i'm absolutely sure that it's int of x^2 cos(x^5) dx

dose anyone have any idea ????????????
  9. Jun 11, 2008 #8
    What was the original question? We've already proved that the integral you post is too difficult!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?