Why are the numbers switched around in this partial differential problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation involving damping oscillations. The solution involves finding the values of lambda and using them to find the solution. However, there is some confusion about the presence of a factor of i in front of the square root in the solution. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that there was a copying error that led to this misunderstanding. The expert Pasmith explains the correct solution and is thanked for their help and clear explanation.
Kajan thana
TL;DR Summary
changing signs with given equality.
I am going through some proofs for Damping oscillations in relation to partial differentials. Can someone help on why the numbers are switched around after giving inequality condition? Please see the images for better clarity. The highlighted characters that gets switched around.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Maths1.jpeg
    Maths1.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 146
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I feel there's some missing context.

It looks like you're triny to solve [tex]
m\ddot x + 2c \dot x + m\omega^2 x = 0.[/tex] The solution to this is [tex]
x(t) = Ae^{\lambda_{+}t} + Be^{\lambda_{-}t}[/tex] where [tex]
\lambda_{\pm} = - \frac cm \pm \sqrt{\frac{c^2}{m^2} - \omega^2}.[/tex] Now iif [itex]c^2 \geq m^2 \omega^2[/itex] then that's fine as it stands, because the quantity under the square root is positive and you'll get a real result.

Otherwise, the quantity under the square root is negative and you get a complex result, which you can write as [tex]
\pm\sqrt{ \frac{c^2}{m^2} - \omega^2} = \pm\sqrt{-\left(\omega^2 - \frac{c^2}{m^2}\right)} = \pm i \sqrt{\omega^2 - \frac{c^2}{m^2}}[/tex] where [itex]i^2 = -1[/itex]. Thus if [itex]c^2 < m^2 \omega^2[/itex] you have [tex]
\lambda_{\pm} = -\frac{c}{m} \pm i \sqrt{ \omega^2 - \frac{c^2}{m^2}}.[/tex] For some reason the factor of [itex]i[/itex] in front of the square root is missing from what you have posted.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and Kajan thana
pasmith said:
I feel there's some missing context.

It looks like you're triny to solve [tex]
m\ddot x + 2c \dot x + m\omega^2 x = 0.[/tex] The solution to this is [tex]
x(t) = Ae^{\lambda_{+}t) + Be^{\lambda_{-}t[/tex] where [tex]
\lambda_{\pm} = - \frac cm \pm \sqrt{\frac{c^2}{m^2} - \omega^2}.[/tex] Now iif [itex]c^2 \geq m^2 \omega^2[/itex] then that's fine as it stands, because the quantity under the square root is positive and you'll get a real result.

Otherwise, the quantity under the square root is negative and you get a complex result, which you can write as [tex]
\pm\sqrt{ \frac{c^2}{m^2} - \omega^2} = \pm\sqrt{-\left(\omega^2 - \frac{c^2}{m^2}\right)} = \pm i \sqrt{\omega^2 - \frac{c^2}{m^2}}[/tex] where [itex]i^2 = -1[/itex]. Thus if [itex]c^2 < m^2 \omega^2[/itex] you have [tex]
\lambda_{\pm} = -\frac{c}{m} \pm i \sqrt{ \omega^2 - \frac{c^2}{m^2}}.[/tex] For some reason the factor of [itex]i[/itex] in front of the square root is missing from what you have posted.
Thank you Pasmith, a small copying error that led to this misunderstanding. Thank you again for taking the time to point this out to me and explaining it clearly. You are a superstar.

What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation is an equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It describes the relationship between the function and its partial derivatives with respect to one or more independent variables.

Why are partial differential equations important in science and engineering?

Partial differential equations are important in science and engineering because they are used to model and solve many physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They also provide a mathematical framework for understanding complex systems and making predictions about their behavior.

What are some common techniques for solving partial differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving partial differential equations include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods.

What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation is that a partial differential equation involves partial derivatives, while an ordinary differential equation involves only ordinary derivatives. This means that a partial differential equation describes a relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables, while an ordinary differential equation describes a relationship between a function and its derivative with respect to a single independent variable.

What are some applications of partial differential equations in real life?

Partial differential equations have many applications in real life, including predicting weather patterns, designing aircraft and cars, analyzing financial markets, and understanding the behavior of biological systems. They are also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics to model and solve complex systems.