Help with PIC16F84A for Beginners

• Thread starter Em Jay
  • Start date
In summary, a beginner found it exciting to work with a PIC16F84A, but wanted help with understanding the registers and how to use them. They found C easier to start with, but would be grateful if someone knew of a processor with more instructions than the PIC16F84A. They copied the input to all general registers on a microcontroller and used divide and multiply operations. The microcontroller with the more instructions is the MSP430.
Em Jay
hello

i am a beginner in pic16f84a
and i found it very exciting but there is a problem i need u to help me with

suppose that portb is input

how can i copy the input to all GPR register

and one more question
what is the best type of Microcontroler that got more instructio than pic1684a

i mean sqrt and dived and multiply

and thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Yes, you should be able to read any port, or register, and write the value to any general register or memory location.

I suggest that you look into using C instead of assembly programming if you are just starting out. It'll be a lot easier to get a satisfying result...then you can dig into the assembler. In C one does something simple like RegisterX = PortB; In assembler it's a bunch of MOV's and bit tests...

I'm not sure that any of the 16F series PICs have MULtiply instructions. The 18F2450 does have an integer multiply, as do the ATMEGA 128 and MSP430 (I only know what I've used...). Higher level math is usually constructed from the simple operations so I don't think you'll find a Square Root instruction on any processor chip. You are also unlikely to find any Floating Point math on chips at this level -- but I could be wrong because I avoid FP whenever possible.

thanks man

i know that c is much easier but i don't have a choice it's my doctor order to start
with assembly to know exactly what is going on in the device

just to make the story of registers familiar
but

if u know any type
that has Multiply divide and sqrt

i will be very great full and a bout my question i did it

i copy the input to all GPR

1. What is the PIC16F84A microcontroller and what does it do?

The PIC16F84A is a microcontroller manufactured by Microchip Technology. It is a small computer on a chip that is used to control electronic devices. It can be programmed to perform a variety of tasks, making it popular for use in many different applications.

2. Is the PIC16F84A suitable for beginners?

Yes, the PIC16F84A is often recommended for beginners due to its simplicity and ease of use. It has a relatively small instruction set and is widely supported by development tools and resources.

3. How do I get started with programming the PIC16F84A?

The first step is to obtain a PIC16F84A microcontroller and a programmer. Then, you will need to download a programming software such as MPLAB IDE or PICKit to write and upload code to the microcontroller. There are also many online tutorials and resources available to help beginners get started.

4. What programming language is used for the PIC16F84A?

The PIC16F84A can be programmed using Assembly language or high-level languages such as C or BASIC. However, many beginners start with Assembly as it allows for more direct control over the microcontroller's functions.

5. Can I use the PIC16F84A for projects other than basic electronics?

Yes, the PIC16F84A can be used for a variety of projects including robotics, home automation, and even advanced electronic systems. Its versatility and availability of development resources make it a popular choice for both beginners and experienced programmers.