Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in Spanish

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    Hello all

How do you change spanish phrases into the negative form? Are there any rules? for example:

1. El siempre trae algo a la fiesta (change to negative)
    2. Carlota lee mas que alguien.
    3. Frecuentemente visitamos a los vecinos.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2
    Negative form? I suppose that you mean to change the phase from positive meaning to negative, in that case:

1) Él siempre trae algo a la fiesta ->
    Él nunca trae nada a la fiesta.

He never brings nothing to the party.

I changed "siempre" (always) for "nunca" (never), and "algo" (something) to "nada" (nothing).

2) Carlota lee más que álguien ->
    Carlota lee menos que nadie.

Carlota reads less than anyone.

I changed "más" (more) to "menos" (less), and "álguien" (someone) to "nadie" (anyone).

3) Frecuentemente visitamos a los vecinos ->
    Casi nunca visitamos a los vecinos.

We visit our neighbours almost never.

I changed "frecuentemente" (frecuently) to "casi nunca" (almost never). See that we put "Casi nunca" at the begining. Obviously you can say put it at the end, but in that case you have to say:

No visitamos a los vecinos casi nunca.

Rules? Well, maybe there are rules... I can't remember it, I only know spanish ;)

Note that in spanish, accents are very important because they tell you where is the entonation in that word, and there are many words with different meaning depending on its accent. For example, "más" with accent means more, but "mas" without it, is like "pero", which meaning is "but".

I'm glad to help with my language, the better I can ;)

Bye

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?