Help In Studies: Overcome Shortcomings in Academics for Engineering Students

• Thread starter schumi1991`
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary: The passion is not a problem... the problem is that in my academic things there are certain things that I have immense liking for like Programming and mechanics whereas there are some in which I find no interest what so ever.. :(...
schumi1991`
Help in studies...

I am pursuing engineering from India.I have always had problem in memorizing things.But it not only ends there.When I have finished one topic such as say Fourier series in mathematics and moved on to some other topic I realize that I have lost my hold on th previous topic altogether,irrespective of the fact that how much practise I have done.This thing has led to a little slump in my grades and self confidence and esteem over the years.
I would lik to ask that what are the changes that I need to make in my studying pattern that help me overcome this short coming in my Academics.

Physics news on Phys.org

Since you don't elaborate on your studying patterns other than "memorizing" and "practicing", I don't see how anyone can suggest something further than not doing those things.

Memorizing a subject is a bad habit and it should never be practiced. You should always try to understand the subject you are studying.
Remember the words of Confucius "Learning without thought is labor lost.''
You can start with simple examples. Solve them on your own and figure out what exactly is happening. You can forget something so easily only because you have not understood it. So make the habit of asking questions on whatever you study and draw logical conclusions. By this way, you will never forget anything you have learned.

fss said:
Since you don't elaborate on your studying patterns other than "memorizing" and "practicing", I don't see how anyone can suggest something further than not doing those things.

okay...
as regards to the studying habits,I don't follow a particular schedule or time line... just make sure that there is not large backlog of things... memorizing part I usually do in chemistry as it is required to remember large no of reactions and equations...
I'll give a list of the subjects below that i find the most difficult to cope and what problems I face while studying them...
Math:
The main problem is of calculations and tedious work... I have been an ardent math fan but since I came to Grad school it hasn't been one of my strengths...I generally solve a few examples and then do some exercises related to that topic... but when I leave one topic and move on to the other I find that I slowly loose my grip on the previous one... Large calculations scare me a lot as I find that no matter how much I try some small little mistakes do tend to creep in...And yes I have to admit that I always practice lot less than required...
Physics:
Physics has been somewhat my strong point in high school.. But I find it difficult when I have to deal with topics in which I have no interest in..and since the syllabus is not that flexible here in India hence there is no other option but to go through it...Derivations of result is also one thing that haunts me to the core... I go through them again and again when I'm doing them but still feel no less confident...
Chemistry:
The only thing that I can do in chemistry is go through the syllabus and try to make head and tail of things that I can find... the problems are reactions and way to have them retained for a longer period of time in my mind...

The underlying difficulty is how to make things interesting even if I don't find them so and keep practicing without loosing interest or getting bored...
Thanks for your replies... I really appreciate that...

Many Asian cultures emphasize memorization in education. In the West, we encourage creative thinking. http://reviews.collegetimes.us/"

In short, I'm trying to say that you shouldn't pursue a field that you are not interested in or not performing well in. Just going after money or w/e is not a good way to succeed in science. If you don't understand a field, or have a passion for the field, that might be part of the problem here.

Last edited by a moderator:

carag said:
Many Asian cultures emphasize memorization in education. In the West, we encourage creative thinking. http://reviews.collegetimes.us/"

In short, I'm trying to say that you shouldn't pursue a field that you are not interested in or not performing well in. Just going after money or w/e is not a good way to succeed in science. If you don't understand a field, or have a passion for the field, that might be part of the problem here.

The passion is not a problem... the problem is that in my academic things there are certain things that I have immense liking for like Programming and mechanics whereas there are some in which I find no interest what so ever.. :(
thanx

Last edited by a moderator:

schumi1991` said:
Derivations of result is also one thing that haunts me to the core... I go through them again and again when I'm doing them but still feel no less confident...

This is quite bad, and likely the reason why you think you have so much trouble "remembering" things. You really need to understand what is going on behind the derivations, and why each step is being performed. If you really understand the derivations, any results should be natural for you to remember because you remember how, at least in general, you got there.

And what about chemical reactions...?
They are quite intimidating too... :(

It is normal to forget old things when they are not used and it is also a fact of psychology that learning new things interferes with our memory of old things. Understanding is a noble pursuit, but unlike some of your other advisors, I don't think that understanding is the key to memory. We tend to remember things like songs, rhymes and jokes better than sophisticated ideas. When you study a subject make up such things to remind you of the very important points in the material. Don't try to do this for every page in the book. Don't get discouraged if you have to review to get a complete grasp of old material. Notice how medical doctors remember things. They must remember thousands of isolated facts. For symptoms of a disease they often have a saying or phrase and each letter of it will stand for a certain symptom.

I think memory is improved by practice. There are books written on how to improve you memory. Get interested in the topic if you want to pursue it. Read such books.

schumi1991` said:
Physics has been somewhat my strong point in high school.. But I find it difficult when I have to deal with topics in which I have no interest in..and since the syllabus is not that flexible here in India hence there is no other option but to go through it...Derivations of result is also one thing that haunts me to the core... I go through them again and again when I'm doing them but still feel no less confident...

I had this exact problem all through physics I and II. I even almost changed my major to engineering because of it.

I could go through the derivations and understand them completely. Even derive them after I saw how. It's just practice and more practice. At least with me. It took until my jr year (now) until I could feel okay deriving things. I'm still not the best at it, but getting better.

That was the key to understanding topics without memorizing for me. Go through the derivations a few times.

The one thing that remains unanswered is how to cope with those in which I can't find much interest and do nothing about skipping it too.. :(
thanx everyone for your replies... :)

What are some common academic struggles faced by engineering students?

Engineering students often struggle with complex problem-solving, time management, and balancing coursework with extracurricular activities. They may also face challenges with understanding theoretical concepts and applying them in practical situations.

How can engineering students improve their time management skills?

One way to improve time management skills is to create a schedule or daily plan that allocates specific time for studying, completing assignments, and taking breaks. It is also important to prioritize tasks and avoid procrastination.

What resources are available to help engineering students overcome academic challenges?

Most universities offer resources such as tutoring services, study groups, and academic advisors to help students struggling with academics. Additionally, online resources such as academic blogs, videos, and forums can also be helpful.

What are some effective study techniques for engineering students?

Some effective study techniques for engineering students include active learning methods such as practice problems, creating study guides, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also beneficial to take breaks, get enough sleep, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

How can engineering students maintain motivation and overcome setbacks in their studies?

It is important for engineering students to set realistic goals and remind themselves of their long-term aspirations. They can also seek support from peers, professors, and mentors when facing setbacks. Additionally, taking breaks, practicing self-care, and celebrating small achievements can help maintain motivation.