1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in study habits in Math

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    I'm currently taking Calculus 2 class and really enjoyed it. I changed my study habits in math because I want to get an A+ on it. I practice indefinite and definite integrations problems everyday for my first exam. I answered most of the questions on my book and some problems I found on the internet, but still didn't get an almost or much better a perfect score on my first exam.

The problem is that when I'm already taking the exam already. I don't have any problem when I'm practicing. Last exam, I feel so weird... it looks like everything is moving fastl. Then after few minutes solving all the questions on the exam, I noticed that I finished it for only 25minutes. So I checked again my answer then I found few errors with signs and fractions. So I changed everything then pass the paper already. Then the next meeting, I only got a B+. :'(

I don't know what's the problem, I sleep 8 hours a day which is the right amount, practice very well and didn't find any problem with me. Can you tell me what's the problem with me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2
    Instead of trying to learn for an A, try to learn for the understanding. Then the A will come naturally when you understand. This will save you time in the long run.

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    I second this.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    Can you please explain it more? I don't get what you are saying. Sorry.

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    At least you still have room for improvement. That's what I tell myself when I recieve a grade i'm not happy with.

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6
    Well, what I mean is that you should learn so that everything you do feel natural. If there is any rule or so that you are unsure on why it works then learn why. When you come to the point where you feel that it is absurd that you could do anything else than what the maths allows you to then you are at home.

Basically what it comes down to is memorization vs understanding. As it looks in your post you try to go heavily on memorization, I therefore advice you to spend a bit more time on understanding. Read through the book, if at any point you do not understand every step then read that part again and again and think it through every time. Don't stop doing problems completely though, they are good as examples of the theory.

8. Oct 19, 2009 #7
    Maybe you're right. I'll try to read again. But.... really..... B+...... is.......... killing me.......... arrggghh... :'(

9. Oct 24, 2009 #8
    Hello again guys! I got an A on my second exam! Woooohoooo! Thanks to MIT for the videos. haha!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook