1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP (inflection points and whatnot)

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    HELP!!! (inflection points and whatnot)

Okay I know how to differentiate but I suck at simplifying the equation

For example

f''(x) = (x^2 + 3)^2(-12)-(-12x)(2)(x^2+3)(2x)
    ^Second derivative

all over

(x^2+4)^4

Now the answer is 36(x^2-1) over (x^2+3)^3

But as to how they came up with 36(x^2-1) is beyond me, I tried breaking up the numerator and solving one half of the equation and the other half; breaking it down piece by piece, but I came up with an equation that resembled nothing like I was suppose to get.

The next question I have is finding the absolute max and min of f(x)= sq root of 81-x^2 in the interval (-9,9)

it says that it's (NONE, NONE) for an abs min and (0,9) for an abs max

then they want me to get it on an interval of [4.5,9) which leads to (NONE,NONE) for the abs min and (4.5, 7.89) for a max. How does that work?

As for the trig problems...I don't even know how to go about those...f(x)=8x+sin(x)

I know the derivative of this is f'(x)=8+cos(x) but finding the open intervals where the function is increasing/decreasing as well as applying the first derivative test to find the relative extrema is something I don't know how to go about doing...maybe I'm making it a little complicated...

I don't know how to find the concavity/points of inflection of f(x)=4csc(5x/2) on the interval (0,2pi) or how to find it with this function f(x)=8sin(x)+4cos(x)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted