1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! Initial Value Problem Question-Differential Equations and Euler's Method

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    URGENT HELP! Initial Value Problem Question-Differential Equations and Euler's Method

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is just an extension of an earlier thread. I see now that they want me to use Euler's method so it might change the way I do the problem.
    The problem wants me to solve the initial value problem (for y I presume) and then use it with Euler's method to approximate the solution at t = 0.5,1,1.5,2,and 2.5.

2. Relevant equations
    dy/dt = 5 - 3(y^(1/2)) y(0) = 2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the equation as separable and took the integral of 1/(5-3(y^(1/2))) and found
    (-10/9)ln l 5 - 3(y^(1/2)) l + (2/9)(5 - 3(y^(1/2))) = t + C. I don't see how I can solve for y from here. Did I perhaps do my integration wrong? Is there another way to solve this IVP without separation? Or perhaps I don't need to solve for y?
    I know that I can solve for C using the given initial value of y but I don't see how this would help me. I know how to do Euler's method so you don't need to explain how to do that unless I have to do it in some special way to figure this problem out
    Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?