Help Input output characteristics of BJT

In summary: For a pnp transistor, the active mode would be when Vcb<0. In summary, the conversation discusses the input-output characteristics of BJT and how they differ for npn and pnp transistors. The graph provided in the link only applies for npn transistors, and for pnp transistors, the active region would be when Vcb<0. The conversation also includes a link to a blog post that further explains the topic.
iampaul
help! Input output characteristics of BJT

I have attached an image of the graph. Does this graph apply for both npn and pnp transistors. I have asked this because for pnp, the collector(c) and base(B) terminals must be reverse-biased at the active region, and B must be at a higher potential than C. Therefore, i think that for the active region Vcb is negative: Vcb= Vc-Vb <0 so Vbc must be positive. As shown in the graph, the transistor is in the active mode for Vcb>0. Why?

For npn there is no problem. That's why I'm asking whether this graph applies for both npn and pnp. Please reply. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

i can't attach the pic so i'll jusr give the link
http://comutronics.blogspot.com/2012/02/ece-basic-interview-question-and_06.html

Last edited by a moderator:

iampaul said:
I have asked this because for pnp, the collector(c) and base(B) terminals must be reverse-biased at the active region, and B must be at a higher potential than C. Therefore, i think that for the active region Vcb is negative: Vcb= Vc-Vb <0
Correct for a pnp transistor.

As shown in the graph, the transistor is in the active mode for Vcb>0. Why?
Presumably because they are showing the graph for a npn transistor.

1. What is a BJT?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) is a type of semiconductor device that has three layers of alternating N-type and P-type materials. It is commonly used as an electronic switch or amplifier in electronic circuits.

2. What are the input and output characteristics of a BJT?

The input characteristics of a BJT refer to the relationship between the base current and the emitter-base voltage, while the output characteristics refer to the relationship between the collector current and the collector-emitter voltage.

3. How do I determine the operating point of a BJT?

The operating point of a BJT can be determined by plotting the input and output characteristics on a graph and finding the point where the two curves intersect. This point represents the DC bias point at which the BJT will operate.

4. What is the purpose of studying the input and output characteristics of a BJT?

Studying the input and output characteristics of a BJT allows us to understand how the device behaves under different operating conditions and how it can be used in electronic circuits. This knowledge is essential for designing and analyzing electronic circuits that use BJTs.

5. How does temperature affect the input and output characteristics of a BJT?

Temperature can affect the input and output characteristics of a BJT by changing the current gain and decreasing the breakdown voltage. This can cause the operating point of the BJT to shift, potentially leading to changes in circuit performance. Therefore, it is important to consider temperature effects when designing circuits with BJTs.