Help, I've fallen for an astrophysicst

• Thread starter Klute
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a young woman's feelings for an astrophysicist she met through her local astronomical society. She worries that he may not be satisfied with a partner who does not fully understand his work, but others reassure her that a relationship is about celebrating differences and she should not let self-doubt get in the way of pursuing a potential romance. Ultimately, she is advised to ask him out and not worry about their different interests.
Klute
I am a young woman of 26 who loves astronomy. I am a post graduate art student and have fallen for an astrophysicst I met though my local astronomical society when he came along to star parties or to give talks. He is not generally regarded as handsome and I must admit when I first met him I was not immediately attracted to him but after getting to know him better I saw him with new eyes. He radiates such intelligence, kindness and humility that he has that rarest of qualities, a kind of true beauty which does not diminish with age. He is 33, single and little shy although he always seeks me out to say hello and chat at these events so I think that he does like me a little as a friend at least. He is very clever and holds a post doctoral position at a good university here in the UK. I want so much to know him better but I worry that he may not be satisfied with a woman who could not fully or even partly understand his work. I do not think I am stupid, I was bright at school, I enjoyed science but shone at art and music and studied art at degree level and on to a post graduate degree in fine art which I feel is the correct path for me. I am still actively involved in amateur astronomy and enjoy reading popular science books by writers such as John Gribbin and Roger Penrose. However I could not pretend to have a firm grasp on any of it without the math. I am told I am pretty and I have a decent figure. I am a warm, loving woman who would go to the ends of the Earth for the right man and if I thought that this man would have me I'd give myself to him in a heartbeat. But could a logical scientist be satisfied with an irrational artist? Is that enough to make him happy or do men like that, like you perhaps need a woman who can truly understand their mind? Would I ever be enough for him? Perhaps I should just stop worrying and ask him out? What do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Men don't need women to understand everything they do in their work, so don't fret. I am a scientist partly though my past career(s) and partly through current research work. I am also a fairly serious amateur astronomer-astrophotographer. I am also a musician, and for years I hosted weekly open-mike jams at a local tavern - generally blues, rock, and jazz, but I kept it loose. Improvisation with others is a blast. My wife can't carry a tune in a basket, nor does she understand chemistry, optics, or astrophysics. That's OK. She is the love of my life and we have been together for over 35 years. Never let the "right" person fall through the cracks based on preconceptions and self-doubt.

Klute said:
Perhaps I should just stop worrying and ask him out? What do you think?

That's what I think. Ask him out.

A good relationship celebrates differences in interests. Worked for me 17 years ago.

Klute said:
But could a logical scientist be satisfied with an irrational artist?
Have you never watched the magic between Dharma and Greg??

DaveC426913 said:
A good relationship celebrates differences in interests. Worked for me 17 years ago.

I think this really hits the spot. Relationships which I had with women with a very close personality to mine and focused on most of the same interests ended up in a lot of sparks. Imagine dating an opposite sex yourself. Its kinda funny in the beginning ...

Klute said:
Perhaps I should just stop worrying and ask him out? What do you think?

Some common interests are OK though. But you seem you to already have those, you love astronomy for example.

It's really worth to go after him. Ask him out and build up from there, things tend to work out by themselves. Most of the time at least.

DanP said:
Some common interests are OK though. But you seem you to already have those, you love astronomy for example.
Remember if he is an astrophysicist he may not know anything about astronomy.

One Cambrige prof described meeting his then girlfriend's family as a young grad student many years ago - they were concerned that he didn't have a proper job when he explained what he did. So the father took him outside to name some stars as a test, the guy worked on the microwave background and could just about recognise the moon.
Apparenlty it took a few letters from his own prof and head of the dept to convince the father that he wasn't a fraud!

Ask him out and stop worrying. You are looking for a romantic relationship not an academic collaboration. You sound like a nice person. :smile:

mgb_phys said:
One Cambrige prof described meeting his then girlfriend's family as a young grad student many years ago - they were concerned that he didn't have a proper job when he explained what he did. So the father took him outside to name some stars as a test, the guy worked on the microwave background and could just about recognise the moon.
Apparenlty it took a few letters from his own prof and head of the dept to convince the father that he wasn't a fraud!

Excellent story man , Ill make sure to remember this for further use. Full credits will be given to you :wink:

An astrophysicist?! Oh no! Run! :biggrin:

Just kidding.

Just remember, when normal couples go out to gaze at the stars, he's actually going to want to point out specific stars, constellations, planets, satellites, get out the telescope for a closer look, etc. It won't be the romantic staring at the sky as an excuse to cuddle up you're expecting.

Otherwise, have fun and enjoy!

Moonbear said:
AJust remember, when normal couples go out to gaze at the stars,
Isn't that a Gamov story? he's out with a girl and she says aren't the stars beautiful and he replies, yes - and I'm the only person in the world that knows why they shine.

I just took Duke out for a walk, saw a few meteors (North to South, so likely straggler Leonids) and got a wonderful view of the 7 sisters, and saw Cygnus flying along the dark rift in the Milky Way. My knowledge of this stuff did not in any way detract from our nice walk, though Duke stopped short when a coyote let out a long mournful wail from not too deep in the woods. There was a pretty heavy critter (likely a deer) breaking branches and shuffling through the leaves running parallel to my West property line. Duke wanted to follow that noise but I'm not one for crashing through the woods in pitch-blackness just for fun.

To the OP, you can have a lot of fun together even if you and your significant other do not fully appreciate one another's knowledge. Go for it!

Klute, what will you regret more at some distant time in your future: that you asked him out, or that you didn't?

It's hard living with regret for some thing you did. But in my experience, it's much harder to live with regret for things you *didn't* do...this kind just seems to linger and linger.

So do it, ask him out.

lisab said:
It's hard living with regret for some thing you did. But in my experience, it's much harder to live with regret for things you *didn't* do...this kind just seems to linger and linger.

One of my fav quotes, I think I already posted it once in a similar thread on this board:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Thank you all for your sage advice and encouragement. Honestly I have never felt about anyone or anything the way I do about this man and I think I just find it, perhaps childishly a bit scary but thrilling as well. I should see him at an event later this week so with any luck I should have a chance to speak to him and I can suggest doing something together soon :blushing:

Wish me luck!

P.S. While his field of professional study is specific, he still loves good old fashioned observing!

Last edited:
Klute said:
Thank you all for your sage advice and encouragement. Honestly I have never felt about anyone or anything the way I do about this man and I think I just find it, perhaps childishly a bit scary but thrilling as well. I should see him at an event later this week so with any luck I should have a chance to speak to him and I can suggest doing something together soon :blushing:

Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Klute said:

Wish me luck!

P.S. While his field of professional study is specific, he still loves good old fashioned observing!
Good luck! Just don't blow it the way I did with one of my ex boyfriends. We met online first. I was intrigued by who this man was, he never gave me a name. Finaly after 3 days he wrote me "my name is XXX, google me". HOLY CRAP! Three hours later I was still reading articles about him. He was the LORD HIGH MUCKETY MUCK of Academia in the United States, and in the world in his field. And from one of the richest families. I was so in awe, that even after he flew me up to stay with him, I was so in awe, I was a mess. Had fun going through his museums though. :cry: Don't blow it like I did.

Evo said:
Good luck! Just don't blow it the way I did with one of my ex boyfriends. We met online first. I was intrigued by who this man was, he never gave me a name. Finaly after 3 days he wrote me "my name is XXX, google me". HOLY CRAP! Three hours later I was still reading articles about him. He was the LORD HIGH MUCKETY MUCK of Academia in the United States, and in the world in his field. And from one of the richest families. I was so in awe, that even after he flew me up to stay with him, I was so in awe, I was a mess. Had fun going through his museums though. :cry: Don't blow it like I did.

Yikes ... I'll try not to blow it although I am quite a bit in awe of him! I think it helps that we already know each other in the flesh so to speak.

Sounds like quite an encounter you had with your scholarly gentleman!

DanP said:
One of my fav quotes, I think I already posted it once in a similar thread on this board:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Ah snap...Mark Twain said it better than I did...go figure! :rofl:

But yes, Dan, I agree...that's truly *great* advice.

Klute said:
Yikes ... I'll try not to blow it although I am quite a bit in awe of him! I think it helps that we already know each other in the flesh so to speak.

We dated for quite awhile, but I could never get past who he was, and unfortunately, neither could he. He actually called himself the Lord High Muckety Muck. He had quite an ego. Hopefully your guy isn't as self absorbed.

Klute said:

Tone down the awe and just have some fun. Adoration is quite intimidating to some men (and some women). I hooked up with a very attractive statuesque blonde in college and our first "date" was a foray out to the university's pastures to see the cows. We had snagged a few apples from supper at the commons and she had never seen cows up close before. I made sure that we got well up the narrow gap between the cow-pasture and the sheep-pasture before getting the cows' attention, and the cows practically stampeded us (lots of cows + few apples = race for the prize). The cows only came to a stop inches from the fence, huffing and blowing green grassy spit all over us as they claimed their prizes. She was scared to death, then elated and pumped at the "adventure", and told all her friends about it.

She was the daughter of a Harvard professor, from a rather well-to-do family. When I took her to my family's modest home for a weekend outing, the first story she told my mother was about the cows. She was an art-history major and I was an engineering student - we didn't talk academics much.

Now, having said all that ...

Klute said:
...I have never felt about anyone or anything the way I do about this man...

Don't set up big expectations that a real person and/or date may not be able to live up to.

Evo said:
We dated for quite awhile, but I could never get past who he was, and unfortunately, neither could he. He actually called himself the Lord High Muckety Muck. He had quite an ego. Hopefully your guy isn't as self absorbed.

What car was he driving ? I am kinda curious what is the choice of a rich spoiled academia man =)

DanP said:
What car was he driving ? I am kinda curious what is the choice of a rich spoiled academia man =)
A 10 year old Subaru station wagon. He was quite eccentric. That was something I loved about him. Here is this GOD of SCIENCE. He had a lifesize lucite statue of him in the Smithsonian from when he was chosen to be the icon of "The American Scientist", and he picks me up in a battered station wagon, I *loved it*.

I don't know if the air conditioning worked, we drove with the windows down, then stopped at the liquor store and he bought $900 of wine for the week, just everyday stuff. He made the most awesome coffee I've ever had, in a beat up aluminum pot on top of the stove.

Last edited:
Evo said:
A 10 year old Subaru station wagon. He was quite eccentric.

Eccentric indeed. Driving with windows open beats AC any time of the day, at any speed :P

My wife's field is German literature, and she never studied physics at all in high school or college, let alone experimental high-energy particle physics, which is what I did in grad school. Nevertheless she didn't have any trouble "catching" me. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Whose was the idea of starting a new subforum for such cases?

Definitely ask him, although...

Klute said:
we already know each other in the flesh so to speak

Perhaps my English fails me (won't be for the first time) but it sounds like your relatioship is already past 'asking' stage o:)

Borek said:
Perhaps my English fails me (won't be for the first time) but it sounds like your relatioship is already past 'asking' stage o:)

With "in flesh" she means she was acquainted with him personally, face to face, not that she slept with him.

DanP said:

Mark Twain

Mark Twain's wisdom always amazes me! His selection of 20 years, for example. Simply brilliant, since the result of what you did should be graduating and moving out of the house by then.

Klute said:
I am a young woman of 26 who loves astronomy. I am a post graduate art student and have fallen for an astrophysicst I met though my local astronomical society when he came along to star parties or to give talks. He is not generally regarded as handsome and I must admit when I first met him I was not immediately attracted to him but after getting to know him better I saw him with new eyes. He radiates such intelligence, kindness and humility that he has that rarest of qualities, a kind of true beauty which does not diminish with age. He is 33, single and little shy although he always seeks me out to say hello and chat at these events so I think that he does like me a little as a friend at least. He is very clever and holds a post doctoral position at a good university here in the UK. I want so much to know him better but I worry that he may not be satisfied with a woman who could not fully or even partly understand his work. I do not think I am stupid, I was bright at school, I enjoyed science but shone at art and music and studied art at degree level and on to a post graduate degree in fine art which I feel is the correct path for me. I am still actively involved in amateur astronomy and enjoy reading popular science books by writers such as John Gribbin and Roger Penrose. However I could not pretend to have a firm grasp on any of it without the math. I am told I am pretty and I have a decent figure. I am a warm, loving woman who would go to the ends of the Earth for the right man and if I thought that this man would have me I'd give myself to him in a heartbeat. But could a logical scientist be satisfied with an irrational artist? Is that enough to make him happy or do men like that, like you perhaps need a woman who can truly understand their mind? Would I ever be enough for him? Perhaps I should just stop worrying and ask him out? What do you think?

Don't let the fear of rejection rob you of this opportunity. Just by reading your post, I am confident in saying that you are someone any decent man would want to spend time with. You have every reason to be confident.

Sharing similar interests with my spouse is only one part of the foundation of our relationship. Be bold! :smile:

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know I spoke to my astrophysicst this evening. I was a little bashful but eventually managed to ask him out. It took a couple of minutes for the penny to drop with him but when it did he seemed pleased and we have a date this weekend!

Thanks for all your help!

Klute said:
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know I spoke to my astrophysicst this evening. I was a little bashful but eventually managed to ask him out. It took a couple of minutes for the penny to drop with him but when it did he seemed pleased and we have a date this weekend!

Awesome! I hope it goes well!

Klute said:
Hi Everyone,

Congrats :smile:...let us know how it goes!

Klute said:
Hi Everyone,

Yoo-hoo! Good for you! Just have some fun and let things gel over time. Clingy ladies can scare off guys, so just be friends, offer closeness and let him initiate the closer relations. (You'll figure out why this is a good idea from his point of view...) My patrician art-history friend and I used to cuddle up at free film-presentations on campus - old Disney films and short features, 3 stooges, Marx brothers, WC Fields... escapism, mostly. Our favorite animated film was "The Old Mill". We also found lots of common ground with the music of Niel Young, Buffalo Springfield, Hendrix, Cream, and art and photography.

If you have a really good planetarium nearby, that can be a really nice date, too. These days, they often feature really impressive sound-systems and computer graphics. It's not like the old days when you had an analog planetarium projector painting dots of light on the walls with an accompanying lecture.

Woo hoo, Klute! Good luck and have fun on your date!

Congrats! and Good luck!

I have witnessed the first relationship thread on this site where OP took some reasonable action. You are really brave:D

Klute said:
...It took a couple of minutes for the penny to drop with him but ...
You had to stick something wet in his ear before he clued in, didn't you?

Astrphysicists... :uhh: