1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: HELP! - Kinematics Question

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    I'm having a bit of trouble with this question and would greatly appreciate all the help I can get...

(a) If the maximum acceleration that is tolerable for passengers in a subway train is 1.54 m/s2 and subway stations are located 816 m apart, what is the maximum speed a subway train can attain between stations? (b) What is the travel time between stations? (c) If a subway train stops for 24.0 s at each station, what is the maximum average speed of the train, from one start-up to the next?

-I started (a) using the formula: x = vt + 1/2at^2
    -I plugged in 816m for x and 1.54m/s^2 for a
    -I got t=32.5537
    -Then I used this time and the given acceleration to solve for v using the formula: a = v/t getting the answer 50.1326 for part (a)

Can someone please let me know if this is correct and how I can begin to tackle parts (b) and (c)?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming the train does not slow down when approaching the station , answer looks OK for 'a'.
    For b, you already solved it!
    For c, what's the formula for average speed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook