MoonsideMaster Needs Help Solving Lab Problem

• Thread starter MoonsideMaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, MoonsideMaster is having trouble with a lab problem in their physics manual and is seeking help from others. The uncertainty for part A is calculated by finding the standard deviation of the mean, while for part B it is the standard error of the mean. MoonsideMaster has included their work in a ZIP file for reference.
MoonsideMaster
HELP! Lab problem!

Hi people! Allow me to introduce myself. I'm MoonsideMaster, and I'm majoring in Mathematics. I hope that, when I get to know you people better, I will be able to contribute in some way. But as for now, I am having a very hard time solving a problem in my physics lab manual. The manual can be seen at the following site: https://doppler.poly.edu/Manuals/PH2004/PH2004Experiment1.htm My problem is on both part A and B of the Analysis section, and they're both #4. I just can't seem to find a way to figure out what the uncertainties are because I really don't know what to do there. I've attached my work in a ZIP file, so if you want, please refer to my work to see what I've already solved and what I want to find. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• excel sheet exp 1 ph2004.zip
    35.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the lab problem. The fact that you have included your work in the ZIP file makes it easier for us to help you. First, let's take a look at Part A. The uncertainty you are looking for is the standard deviation of the mean. To calculate this, you need to subtract the mean from each data point and square the results, sum them up, and divide by the number of data points minus one. You then take the square root of this result to get the standard deviation of the mean. For Part B, the uncertainty you are looking for is the standard error of the mean. This is calculated by taking the standard deviation of the mean, dividing it by the square root of the number of data points, and multiplying by the inverse of the normal distribution probability. This should give you an estimate of the standard error of the mean. I hope this helps! Good luck with your lab problem.

Hi MoonsideMaster,

I understand that you are having trouble solving a problem in your physics lab manual. As a mathematics major, I'm sure you have a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, so I'm confident that you can figure this out with a little help.

Firstly, don't be afraid to ask for help! It's great that you're reaching out for assistance. Have you tried talking to your classmates or professor for clarification on the problem? Sometimes discussing the problem with others can help you see it from a different perspective and find a solution.

Secondly, when it comes to uncertainties, it's important to understand the concept and how to calculate them. I suggest reviewing your notes or textbook on uncertainties and their calculations. Also, make sure you have a clear understanding of the problem and what is being asked of you. Sometimes, uncertainties can be calculated using experimental data or by using the equations and measurements given in the problem.

Lastly, I took a look at your work in the ZIP file, and it seems like you have a good start on the problem. Keep in mind that solving problems in physics often involves multiple steps and calculations, so don't get discouraged if it takes you some time to figure it out.

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your lab problem!

What is the problem MoonsideMaster needs help solving in their lab?

MoonsideMaster has encountered an issue in their lab and is seeking assistance in finding a solution.

What steps have MoonsideMaster already taken to try to solve the problem?

MoonsideMaster has likely already attempted some troubleshooting or experiments to try to solve the problem on their own.

What information is needed to effectively help MoonsideMaster with their lab problem?

In order to provide effective assistance, it is important to gather information such as the specific details of the problem, any previous attempts at solving it, and any relevant data or observations from the lab.

What are some potential solutions to MoonsideMaster's problem?

Depending on the nature of the problem, there could be a variety of potential solutions. It may be helpful to brainstorm and consider different approaches or techniques that could be applied to the issue.

How can MoonsideMaster prevent similar problems from occurring in the future?

To avoid encountering similar problems in the future, MoonsideMaster can take note of any successful solutions and make changes to their lab processes or procedures as needed. It may also be helpful to document any troubleshooting or experimental steps taken during the problem-solving process.