Lamarsh Assignment: Discover the 7-10 Rule for Fission Product Activity

• Thread starter psunuce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the 7-10 rule in civil defense states that the activity at the time t=7^nt0 is approximately given by a=a0/10^n, based on the equations a(t) = a0* exp(-0.693 t/t1/2) and n = n0 *exp (-0.693t/t12). This rule is based on the continuous decaying exponential function and can be applied to discrete intervals of time, such as 1 hour or 1 day, to estimate the reduction in activity.
psunuce
Fission product activity measured at the time t0 following the burst of a nuclear weapon is found to be a0. Show that the activity at the time t=7^nt0 is given approximately by a=a0/10^n. This is known as the 7-10 rule in civil defense.

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you have to work with?

How does it relate to a(t) = a0* exp(-0.693 t/t1/2)?

Yes, I was playing around with that one... Exponential decay for activity... I'm not sure what else I can use... At one point, I also used n = n0 *exp (-0.693t/t12), but wasn't sure if the n given in the problem was actually number of atoms or just some arbitrary variable.

I noticed that 0.693 is approximately 0.7 or 7/10.

The decaying exponential is a continuous function, and the rule of thumb uses discrete interval of time.

So one could pick a [itex]\Delta{T}[/itex] of one hour or one day.

According to an example, if activity is measured at 1 hr, then 8 hrs ([itex]\Delta{T}[/itex] = 7 hrs), activity should be reduced to 1/10 of the activity at 1 hr. Then at 15 hrs, 1 + 2*7, the activity should be 1/100 of the activity at 1 hr. And so on.

Last edited:

1. What is "Help Lamarsh assignment"?

"Help Lamarsh assignment" refers to a type of support or assistance provided to individuals who are working on assignments related to the textbook "Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Theory" by John R. Lamarsh.

2. Who can benefit from "Help Lamarsh assignment"?

Anyone who is studying or working on assignments related to nuclear reactor theory, specifically using the textbook by John R. Lamarsh, can benefit from "Help Lamarsh assignment". This can include students, researchers, or professionals in the field.

3. What types of help are included in "Help Lamarsh assignment"?

"Help Lamarsh assignment" can include a variety of resources such as study guides, practice problems, lecture notes, and online tutoring sessions. These resources are designed to assist individuals in understanding and completing assignments related to the Lamarsh textbook.

4. How can I access "Help Lamarsh assignment"?

"Help Lamarsh assignment" can be accessed through various online platforms such as tutoring websites, study groups, or educational forums. You can also reach out to your instructor or classmates for recommendations on where to find additional help.

5. Is "Help Lamarsh assignment" a substitute for studying and completing assignments?

No, "Help Lamarsh assignment" is not a substitute for studying and completing assignments. It is meant to supplement your learning and provide additional support, but it is important to still put in the effort to understand the material and complete assignments on your own.