What is the limit of the solution curve as x approaches infinity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and its solution curve. The problem asks for the limit of the solution curve as x approaches infinity. The options provided do not include the correct answer, which is 0.5. The conversation also discusses finding the value of "c" and the equilibrium points of the differential equation. However, the main focus is on finding the limit, which is determined to be 0.5 based on the given initial condition.
cokezero
HELP! limit and differentials

1. i can't seem to figure this out...

if the differential equation dy/dx= y-2y^2 has a solution curve y=f(x) contianing point (o, 0.25) then the limit as x approaches infinity of f(x) is

a)no limit

b. 0

c. 0.25

d. 0.5

e. 2

he problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. dy/dx= y-2y^2

3. i think it is no limit

integrate( dy/(y-2y^2)= dx)

Physics news on Phys.org
it is no limit but do you need help solving the integral? also the integral of that doesn't have (0,0.25) but it has (0.25,0), is that what you meant?

no i have the integral down f(X) becomes y= 1/(e^-x + 2) +C; now the limit of f(x) without the c value is 1/2 which is an asnwer choice; but if i take the limit with c , which is -1/12 b/c the initial condition given is (0, 1/4) the limit becomes .41666667; this however is not an answer choice given...

so when taking the limit of the f(X) should i include the c value...does it matter?

f(x) pass in (0, 0.25) , find the value of c, then do the limit again.

I suspect that actually finding y was not the point of this question.
dy/dt= y- 2y2= y(1- 2y)= 0 when y= 0 or y= 1/2. That is, the differential equation has y= 0 and y= 1/2 as constant (equilibrium) solutions. If y< 0 then 1- 2y is positive so dy/dt is negative and y is decreasing. If 0< y< 1/2 then both y and 1-2y are positive so dy/dt is positive and y is increasing. y= 0 is an unstable equilibrium point. If 1/2< y then 1- 2y is negative so dy/dt is negative, dy/dt is negative so y is decreasing. y= 1/2 is a stable equilibrium point. If y(t) is positive for any t, then y(t) will go to 1/2 as t goes to infinity.

For this problem y(0)= 0.25> 0 so y(t) goes to 0.5 as t goes to infinity. The answer is (d).

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It can be thought of as the value that a function is approaching, but not necessarily equal to, as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be found by evaluating the values of the function as the input approaches the specific value from both the left and the right. If the two values are equal, then that value is the limit. If they are not equal, then the limit does not exist.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the values of the function as the input approaches a specific value from either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers both the values from the left and the right and requires that they be equal for the limit to exist.

4. What is a differential?

A differential is a small change in a function as the input changes. It is represented by the symbol "dx" and is used in calculus to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

5. How do you find the differential of a function?

The differential of a function can be found by taking the derivative of the function and multiplying it by the change in the input, represented by "dx". This gives the ratio of the change in the output to the change in the input at a specific point on the function.