Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help: Liquids in Tubing

1. May 12, 2004 #1
    I am a student from UIC that has begun working on a side project.
    With a few of my friends we have tried to figure out the physics behind funnels with a tube coming down with liquids in them.

Something like this:
    \_/
    ||
    ||

We have not gotten far but believe an integral to find the force of gravity would be important. As would be the pressure on the lower part of the tubing, before the liquid is released.

Where do we start?
    ^0^
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope you are aware that this is a complex non-linear problem. It takes pretty eloborately written programs to figure out the dynamics of a fluid in a funnel. Besides gravity, there are forces due to viscosity, coriolis type forces, turbulence effects, etc. The differential equations that describe this system nearly well almost never have analytic solutions and must be solved numerically. There are problems of convergence involved in the writing of a code to solve this.

In short, this is a really hard problem. I would suggest you pick something that you know a little more about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?