Creating a Logarithmic Equation Using a Table of Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about using a table of numbers to generate a log equation. The person asks for a step-by-step explanation and an example is given. They also ask for help with making a log formula without a calculator and the suggestion is to use Taylor series. However, it is mentioned that this method may not be convenient for calculating by hand. The conversation also includes a comment about a picture and a misunderstanding of the question. Finally, instructions are given for using the lnreg function on a calculator to perform a regression and obtain an equation.
Keifi
Anybody know how to use a table of numbers (in the stat -> edit place) to generate a log equation...?

can you explain this step by step for me?

stat->edit place ex.

L1 L2
2 123213
4 12321312312
5 231123123123123
324 123123123123
2234 12312312321
123424 12312321
(just an example)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Or can you teach me how to make a log formula without a calulator

(real data as follows)
:
Time 1:30 1:35 1:40 1:45 1:50 1:55 2:00 2:05 2:10 2:15 2:20 2:25 2:30 2:45 3:00 3:15 3:30 4:00 4:30 5:00 5:30
Difference 101 91 76 73 66 62 58 53 51 50 46 42 40 34 28 22 20 16 10 6 2

Keifi said:
Or can you teach me how to make a log formula without a calulator
You could use Taylor series for that but I have the impression that is not what you're looking for.

funny thing is, i don't have any idea what you just meant... but anyways i got it.. sooooo simple i feel soo dumb :rofl: :rofl:

but anyways, a random comment :
check out the picture i made, tell me if u like

Attachments

• Keifi4.jpg
    Keifi4.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 420
I meant this:

img24.gif

This calculates the natural logarithm but converges very slowly, so as I guess you want it to be calculated by hand it isn't very convenient. Nice pic, would get you a lot of female attention at Abu Ghraib. Anyway, I seem to have misunderstood your question. Sorry for that.

Last edited:
on your calculator there is lnreg (ln regression) go to:
before you use it, make sure you turn diagnostic on (go to the catalog [second --> 0]) and find the diagnostic on, and select that
than to do your regression:
stat --> calc (second tab) --> number 9 (lnreg)
it should say: LnReg on the screen
than type L1 (second --> 1) --> , (comma) --> L2 (second --> 2) --> , --> Y1 (vars --> y-vars [second tab] --> Function [number 1] --> Y1 [number 1])

this will than regress your data (L1 will by the x values, L2 will be the y values [you can use other lists also, but make sure the first one is x values the second one is y]) and give you an equation. It will than graph the equation in Y1 (you can change it to anyone you want). There are many other types of regression (about 10) that you can use. Check in the manual, it has a list of every single function in the calculator. You will be able to find everything you need in it somewhere.

ya that's wat i did (Parth Dave )

What is the purpose of the "Help Major - Logs + TI-83+"?

The purpose of the "Help Major - Logs + TI-83+" is to assist users in understanding and solving logarithmic equations using a TI-83 calculator. It provides step-by-step instructions and examples to help users learn and master the concept of logarithms.

Do I need any prior knowledge to use this program?

Yes, it is recommended that users have a basic understanding of logarithms and how to use a TI-83 calculator before using the "Help Major - Logs + TI-83+". This program is designed to supplement learning and not replace it.

How accurate is the information provided in this program?

The information and instructions provided in the "Help Major - Logs + TI-83+" are accurate and verified by experts in the field of mathematics. However, it is always recommended to double-check your calculations and consult with a teacher or tutor if you are unsure.

Can I use this program for any type of logarithmic equation?

Yes, the "Help Major - Logs + TI-83+" is designed to cover all types of logarithmic equations, including common and natural logarithms. It also provides examples for different types of problems, such as solving for a variable or graphing a logarithmic function.

Is there a limit to the number of equations I can solve with this program?

No, there is no limit to the number of equations you can solve with the "Help Major - Logs + TI-83+". You can use it as many times as you need to practice and improve your skills in solving logarithmic equations.