1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Making A Matrix in Latex?

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    Help Making A Matrix in Latex??

Hi, I need to make an nxn square matrix using Latex with 1's starting in the bottom left all the way up to the top right on that sort of opposite diagonal. I can't figure out to do it. Can anyone help? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi azdang! :smile:

See http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node56.html#SECTION00850000000000000000 [Broken] :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    Re: Help Making A Matrix in Latex??

Hi Tiny Tin, thanks for the website. I have a few websites that I look at often for Latex help, but I haven't come across anything helpful. I have no trouble making normal diagonal matrices, but I don't know how to only get elements in positions [tex]a_{(n,1)},a_{(n-1,2)},a_{(n-2,3)},...a_{(1,n)}[/tex].

And I don't want any vertical dots or anything because all other elements are zero. The only place I would want dots would be on this reverse diagonal in between elements [tex]a_{n,1}[/tex] and [tex]a_{1,n}[/tex] to indicate that \lambda is along this diagonal.

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rolleyes:
    look at the link!​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook