Discovering My Passion: Deciding on a College Major at 21

• Thread starter aledrole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker is feeling lost and unsure about their future, as they are 21 and have no idea what they want to do with their life. They have considered different options, such as graphic design and becoming a vet, but have no experience or interest in those fields. They also struggle with interpersonal skills and have been unsuccessful in jobs that require sales or customer service. They are unsure of what to study and are feeling pressure from others to make a decision.
aledrole
Got the biggest headache. Hate the position where I am in my life and the way I'm doing things. sigh...
I am 21 and have no idea what to do with my life. I know I have to and that I want to graduate from college. The major? I have no idea! I've read all kinds of blogs saying what to do according to what i enjoy doing or what am i good at but I just don't know.

I know that i am not a good at chemistry, even though i got an A in CHEM1 in my first semester in a community college I know that I just don't know the stuff. I never thought of myself as being good in math but. . after 5 years I took pre calculus in college and did pretty good, an A.
I know that I want nothing to do with chemistry.
I also have to recognize my very low interpersonal skills, my zero interest in politic and finances. When I think of a field I can right away state why I am not a good prospect to be succesfull in it. When I think of health care for instance i know i never care about a sick person, ( i care about sick animals though) and also I have never showed interest in medications or anything. I hate how hospitals smell but find that I'm strong enough to see a leg chopped off with no problems. I thought of graphic design but i have nothing for my poratfolio. I don't even know how to use the basic programs for design. Being the youngest in my house, however, I am considered by my parents and siblings "good with computers" (I'm not, i know very basic stuff). I love dogs. I can truly say i rather play with dogs than talk with people but to be a vet it's late now, I'm already 21. I once had a job of selling perfumes and I recognize i was really bad at it. Since I'm shy i couldn't go after a costumer and convince him to buy my product. hmm..Oh! I recognize that I have great costumer service experience and I think I'm good at it ,as I've received compliments from costumers at the restaurant where i work. and what else? a psychologist? as i said before... my interpersonal skills suck. I have a couple of friends but couldn't care less about their personal problems. Of course I know i am a bad friend but they still talk to me for some reason. who knows. Oh! and also I am very shy with people, more if they're around my age.
What should I study?

Physics news on Phys.org
Girls. When you get older you'll wish you had studied the subject more.

Likes member 587159

1. What factors should I consider when deciding what to study?

When deciding what to study, there are several factors to consider. First, think about your interests and strengths. What subjects do you enjoy and excel in? Next, consider your career goals. What field of study will help you achieve your desired career path? Additionally, think about the job market and potential salary for different fields of study. Finally, consider the resources and support available to you, such as financial aid and mentorship opportunities.

2. How can I explore different fields of study?

There are several ways to explore different fields of study. You can take elective courses in different subjects, attend career fairs and information sessions, and talk to professors and professionals in different fields. You can also conduct informational interviews with individuals working in fields that interest you to gain insight into their experiences and job responsibilities.

3. How do I know if a certain field of study is right for me?

Choosing a field of study is a personal decision, so it's important to consider what aligns with your interests, values, and career goals. You can also try taking introductory courses in different subjects to see if they spark your interest. Additionally, talking to professionals in the field and gaining hands-on experience through internships or volunteer opportunities can help you determine if a certain field is a good fit for you.

4. Should I choose a broad or specialized field of study?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and preferences. A broad field of study may provide more flexibility and a wider range of career opportunities, while a specialized field may lead to more specialized and potentially higher-paying job opportunities. Consider what type of job you envision for yourself and what type of education will best prepare you for it.

5. How can I balance my interests and job prospects when deciding what to study?

It's important to find a balance between your interests and job prospects when choosing a field of study. While it's important to pursue your passions, it's also important to consider the practicality of your chosen field. You can do this by researching the job market and potential salaries for different fields, and also by considering how your interests can be applied in various career paths. It's also helpful to seek guidance from advisors, professors, and professionals in the field to gain insight into the job prospects and potential career paths for your chosen field of study.