How can I evaluate these limits?

• Thread starter HF08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, when evaluating the limits in parts a and b, it is helpful to change to polar coordinates and use the fact that the limit does not depend on theta as r goes to 0. This approach results in a limit of 0 for both parts.
HF08
[SOLVED] Help me evaluate this limit

Part a:

Show that f(x,y) = [tex]\frac{x^{4}+y^{4}}{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]
as (x,y) -> (0,0)

Part b:

Similarily, show that f(x,y) = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{\left|xy\right|}}{\sqrt[3]{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/tex] as (x,y)->(0,0)

Lets work with Part a, shall we?

I seemed to be getting a [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex] type limit. In prior situations and examples, I have seen clever substitutions or inequality relationships to aid us. In this spirit of such an approach I have thought it obvious to write it as:

f(x,y) = [tex]\frac{(x^{2})^{2}+(y^{2})^{2}}{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]

Unfortunate for me is that this rather unoriginal form lends me nothing (at least to me). I have the sum of squares, not the difference of squares. I have thought of multiplying both the numerator and denominator by an indentity of some kind, but this might also be provide poor results? Can you please help me here?

As for part b, I am sure similar strategies are at work. I am also aware that part b looks acutely more difficult. Hence, please help me work on part a first. It isn't lack of effort, I assure you as my post here implies.

Thank you,
HF08

Physics news on Phys.org
I will help you with the first one to give you an idea of how to do these.

So let e > 0. Choose d = (fill this in). Then if 0 <|(x,y) - (0, 0)| < d (ie, sqrt(x^2 + y^2) < d), we have

|(x^4 + y^4)/(x^2 + y^2)| <= x^4/|x^2 + y^2| + y^4/|x^2 + y^2| <= x^2 + y^2 < d^2Just think about why every step is true and pick d appropriately to make things work.

When you have two variables, often the simplest way to do a limit is to change to polar coordinates: with [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex],
your first fraction becomes
[tex]\frac{r^4cos^4(\theta)+ r^4sin^4(\theta)}{r^2}= r^2(cos^4(\theta)+ sin^4(\theta))[/tex]
Now, (x,y) going to (0,0) mean r goes to 0 with [itex]\theta[/itex] indeterminate. Can you see that the limit, as r goes to 0, does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex]?

For the second, again change to polar coordinates:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{r^2(cos\theta sin\theta)}}{r^{\frac{2}{3}}}[/tex]
Again, the limit, as r goes to 0, does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex].

Thanks

HallsofIvy said:
When you have two variables, often the simplest way to do a limit is to change to polar coordinates: with [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex],
your first fraction becomes
[tex]\frac{r^4cos^4(\theta)+ r^4sin^4(\theta)}{r^2}= r^2(cos^4(\theta)+ sin^4(\theta))[/tex]
Now, (x,y) going to (0,0) mean r goes to 0 with [itex]\theta[/itex] indeterminate. Can you see that the limit, as r goes to 0, does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex]?

For the second, again change to polar coordinates:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{r^2(cos\theta sin\theta)}}{r^{\frac{2}{3}}}[/tex]
Again, the limit, as r goes to 0, does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex].

Excellent post HallsofIvy. I have found both limits to be 0. This is more useful than the definition approach. If you agree with what the limit is, I will mark this solved.

Thank You,
HF08

Yes, the limit for both is 0.

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value.

Why is evaluating limits important?

Evaluating limits is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point, even if the function is undefined at that point. This helps us understand the overall behavior and properties of a function.

How do you evaluate a limit?

To evaluate a limit, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and applying limit laws. You can also use graphical methods, such as finding the value of the function at points closer and closer to the limit point. Lastly, you can use computational methods, such as using a calculator or computer software.

What are some common errors when evaluating limits?

Some common errors when evaluating limits include incorrectly applying limit laws, dividing by zero, and assuming the limit exists when it may not. It is important to carefully consider the properties and behavior of the function in order to avoid these errors.

Are there any special cases when evaluating limits?

Yes, there are some special cases when evaluating limits. These include limits involving indeterminate forms (such as 0/0 or ∞/∞), limits at infinity, and limits involving trigonometric functions. These cases may require specific techniques or additional steps to evaluate the limit accurately.