Help me figure out car speed that hit my dog?

In summary, the car was traveling at 28.8mph when the dog was thrown into the air and landed 110 feet away.
DavidBabineau
Im sorry to ask anyone this,but our dog Zeta was hitbye a car today and she is like our child. The car was a 1999 corvette Z06 and our dog weighed 85lbs. she was thrown in the air and landed 110 feet. I saw the whole thing which was the worst thing i could of ever seen. she has internal bleeding and is at the animal hospital. the speed limit on the road was 25mph. I know the guy was speeding, I just can't prove it.Can anyone help me please?I'm trying to find out how fast was he going?

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidBabineau said:
Im sorry to ask anyone this,but our dog Zeta was hitbye a car today and she is like our child. The car was a 1999 corvette Z06 and our dog weighed 85lbs. she was thrown in the air and landed 110 feet. I saw the whole thing which was the worst thing i could of ever seen. she has internal bleeding and is at the animal hospital. the speed limit on the road was 25mph. I know the guy was speeding, I just can't prove it.Can anyone help me please?I'm trying to find out how fast was he going?

Welcome to the PF, and sorry to hear about your dog being injured.

Was a police report taken? Have you been contacted by the car owner? In most states that I know of, the dog owner is generally considered at fault when the dog is involved in an accident (sorry). If the driver were driving recklessly, that might change it (I don't know), but the police officer who wrote up the report should be able to give you that basic information.

yYes we called the police but he was not very helpful.We did a report and we have witness's saying the young man was driving very fast, but i was wondering if you could figure out how fast he was going bye the weight of the dog and the distance the dog traveled which is 110 ft? the car weigh's aprox 3000 lbs. i could be wrong though?

DavidBabineau said:
yYes we called the police but he was not very helpful.We did a report and we have witness's saying the young man was driving very fast, but i was wondering if you could figure out how fast he was going bye the weight of the dog and the distance the dog traveled which is 110 ft? the car weigh's aprox 3000 lbs. i could be wrong though?

With a quick calculation, I get approximately 28.8mph for the initial horizontal speed of the dog if he was launched at a 45 degree angle. I'll re-check my numbers, and post again if I find an error.

Again, I'm sorry for your dog's injuries.

First and foremost, I am sorry to hear about your dog Zeta. It is understandable that you are seeking answers in this difficult situation. In order to calculate the speed of the car that hit your dog, we would need to know more information such as the angle at which your dog was thrown, the impact force, and the distance traveled by the car before and after the collision. Without this information, it would be difficult to accurately determine the speed of the car. However, it is important to focus on the well-being of your dog at the moment and leave the investigation to the authorities. They will have the necessary tools and expertise to gather all the evidence needed to determine the speed of the car. I wish you and your dog all the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

What is the formula for calculating car speed?

The formula for calculating car speed is: speed = distance / time.

What information do I need to know to calculate the car speed?

To calculate the car speed, you will need to know the distance the car traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

Can I use an online calculator to figure out the car speed?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can help you figure out the car speed. However, it's important to double check the results and make sure the calculator is using the correct formula and units.

Why is it important to figure out the car speed that hit my dog?

Knowing the car speed can help determine the severity of the impact and the likelihood of your dog surviving. It can also be useful for legal purposes, such as filing a report or seeking compensation for damages.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated car speed?

The accuracy of the calculated car speed can be affected by factors such as the condition of the road, any obstacles or inclines on the road, and the driver's reaction time. It's important to take these factors into consideration when calculating the car speed.