Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me figure out what I just ate

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I was at a conference earlier this week and one of the vegetarian dishes was this vegetable something bowl. It was a breaded looking bowl thing filled with what seemed like a cabbage or something and slices of peppers on top. This was all served on what appeared to be grits but tasted kinda like corn. What ever it was, it was absolutely amazing and I need to learn how to make it. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No idea but I'm hungry now.

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It was spinach dip. Usually served in a rye bread bowl - the bread loaf has its middle torn out and broken up into bite-sized dippable chunks.

spinach.jpg

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds weird, the grits like stuff could have been polenta (corn meal mush)?

How was it eaten? That will help to figure it out.

6. Aug 12, 2011 #5
    No, it definitely was not spinach dip. It wasn't a bread bowl it was more like a light dough bowl.

It was eaten with a fork.

7. Aug 12, 2011 #6

Evo

8. Aug 12, 2011 #7

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Vegetarian? Hardly...

[PLAIN]http://consumerist.com/images/31/2009/02/youknowwhatjustno.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Aug 12, 2011 #8
    usually when vegetarian dishes are served "on" something it is couscous. Was the cabbage thing cooked? What type of peppers were sliced on top? Bell peppers?

10. Aug 13, 2011 #9
    Kimchi?

11. Aug 13, 2011 #10

Evo

Whatever it is, all those things together just sound like someone dropped the food meant to be served on the floor and had decided to put what was leftover together and serve it. :biggrin:

Apparently it tasted ok.

Common Topher, were the cups puff pastry?

12. Aug 13, 2011 #11
    No it didn't have a puffy or pastry like bowl, it was a somewhat dense kind of dough, not puffy or sweet at all. It wasn't kimchi either although thats a new one to me.

13. Aug 13, 2011 #12

Evo

But the dough was cooked and like a bowl? What color was the cabbage? It was cooked? Was it sweet/spicy? What kind of peppers?

The grits like stuff, white or yellow?

14. Aug 13, 2011 #13
    The dough was cooked in an oven, as a bowl. The cabbage was a grayish color, assuming it was even cabbage. It was all cooked and seemed like it was all cooked together. It wasn't very sweet but had a bit of spice to it. The peppers were bell peppers. The grits stuff was a light colored yellow.

15. Aug 13, 2011 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

See now that, in a nutshell, describes the problem with cabbage. :biggrin:

16. Aug 13, 2011 #15
    lolol

17. Aug 13, 2011 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I Googled it for you. Just leave out the sausage and figure out how to incorporate the peppers.

http://www.secret-ingredient.net/post/452751231/braised-cabbage-sausage-and-polenta Evo's edit:You forgot the dough bowl.

I got the feeling that the OP was telling us that the dish was served on a dough bowl, not that the dough was an integral part of the dish, since he specified that the dish was eaten with a fork. My sister is very fond of making bread-dip dishes, and the the bread is an integral part of the dishes. Cheesy spinach-dip with bread torn from the center of a round loaf was a favorite with her kids years back. Finger-food.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. Aug 13, 2011 #17

Evo

ooops, I edited your post. That doesn't look bad, no need for the dough, IMO.

19. Aug 14, 2011 #18
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook