Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me figure this one out

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    Help me figure this one out!!!

For a certain commodity, the demand equation is given by D= -5p + 5=. At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied. If the supply equation is linear and the market price is $4, find the supply equation.

For this one I have come up with a formula of:

s= ap+b where p if the varialbe, price, and a,b are constants

s is supply.

I think I have to find a and b but amd not sure.

Can someone help me with figure this one out...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, since you are told that the supply equation is linear, it must be of the form
    s= ap+ b. Further, you are told that "At a price of $1, twelve units of the commodity are supplied"- that is, when p= 1, s= 12 so 12= a(1)+ b or a+ b= 1. That means that b= 1- a and the supply equation can be written s= ap+ 1- a. Finally, you are told that the "Market price is $4" which means that the value of p at which the supply and demand equations give s= D is 4. The demand equation is D= -5p + 5. When p= 4, what is D? Now that you know D, you also know s: s= D. Put that value of s as well as p= 4 into the supply equation and solve for a.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?