Why does Harry's vacation start early?

• Thread starter parker21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, Harry the painter swings year after year from his bosun's chair. His weight is 500 N and the rope, unknown to him, has a breaking point of 300 N. Why doesn't the rope break when he is supported as shown to the left below? One day Harry is painting near a flagpole, and, for a change, he ties the free end of the rope to the flagpole instead of to his chair as shown to the right. Why did Harry end up taking his vacation early?
parker21
Harry the painter swings year after year from his bosun's chair. His weight is 500 N and the rope, unknown to him, has a breaking point of 300 N. Why doesn't the rope break when he is supported as shown to the left below? One day Harry is painting near a flagpole, and, for a change, he ties the free end of the rope to the flagpole instead of to his chair as shown to the right. Why did Harry end up taking his vacation early?

. How does the direction of a friction force compare with the velocity of a sliding object?

Physics news on Phys.org
parker21 said:
Harry the painter swings year after year from his bosun's chair. His weight is 500 N and the rope, unknown to him, has a breaking point of 300 N. Why doesn't the rope break when he is supported as shown to the left below? One day Harry is painting near a flagpole, and, for a change, he ties the free end of the rope to the flagpole instead of to his chair as shown to the right. Why did Harry end up taking his vacation early?

. How does the direction of a friction force compare with the velocity of a sliding object?
I don't know where your diagram is but I suspect that in the first case the rope is hooked over something and connects to the chair in two places (in which case, each holding so it can support 600 N) and in the second case he just has one piece of rope which breaks when he puts 500 N force on it.

AM

AM you are insightful. This is question 34 from chapter 4 of Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics text. And your assumption is correct.

Parker21: there is no friction in this problem (at least it is not significant) and you do not compare forces with velocities, and anyway nothing is sliding since this is a "static equilibrium" problem. Read your textbook section 4.7 .

1. What does "figure this out" mean?

Figuring something out means finding a solution or understanding something that was previously unclear or confusing.

2. How can I figure things out more efficiently?

There is no one answer to this question as it depends on the individual and the specific situation. However, some strategies that can help include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, seeking help or advice from others, and taking breaks to clear your mind.

3. What if I can't figure something out on my own?

It is completely normal and acceptable to ask for help when you are struggling to figure something out. This can be from a colleague, mentor, or even online resources. Collaborating with others can often lead to a quicker and more effective solution.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and by learning from past experiences. It is important to approach problems with a positive and open mindset, and to be willing to try different approaches if one method is not working.

5. Is there a specific process for figuring things out?

While there is no one set process for figuring things out, many people find it helpful to follow a logical and structured approach. This can include identifying the problem, gathering information, brainstorming solutions, and evaluating and choosing the best option.