1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me find a limit!

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit of e(-t/2)((k/2)t+c) as t approaches infinity where k and c are constants

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure..?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Plugging in t = infinity gives me an indeterminate form, and multiple applications of L'hopital's rule have led me no where. Any suggestions? I can see graphically that it goes to 0, but I'm not sure how to show this analytically. I can see that if I expand it, the e(-t/2)c term goes to zero, but I'm not sure about the other term.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I do not know if this is a valid form of proving limits, but e-t/2 approaches 0 faster than any polynomial can approach infinity as t→∞.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    yeah I was hoping that L'hopital's rule would show that but it didn't work out...

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Wouldn't L'Hopital's rule as show it going to zero since d/dt{0.5kt+c} is does not contain a tern in 't'?

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    Oops! yes! Thank you, I found my mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook