Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me find where waving originated

1. Jul 13, 2003 #1
    I recently stumbled upon the question of the origins of waving. I was wondering if anyone could help me find where waving originated, and if it is a "universal sign", and if any other species demonstrate "waving" in the same form or a slight variation from what we do.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2003 #2
    I'm pretty sure waving originated as a hand held out to show that the hand held no weapon. A gesture of good will if you will. i'm not sure where or when it originated but i know the american indians did it as such.

4. Jul 14, 2003 #3
    I tend to agree with vedder. Much like the origin of shaking hands, it seems that waving is just a sign of peace (that one isn't carrying a weapon). Of course, there's also the fact that people sometimes wave people toward them, or wave their hand in the air in class (so that the teacher will call on them), but these are much more obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?