Help me find where waving originated

• Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the origins of the gesture of waving and whether it is a universal sign or only found in humans. The general consensus is that waving originated as a way to show that one's hand held no weapon and is a gesture of peace. While the exact origins are unknown, it is believed that American Indians also used waving in this manner. Some variations of waving include using it to call someone towards you or to get someone's attention.
kyle_soule
I recently stumbled upon the question of the origins of waving. I was wondering if anyone could help me find where waving originated, and if it is a "universal sign", and if any other species demonstrate "waving" in the same form or a slight variation from what we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure waving originated as a hand held out to show that the hand held no weapon. A gesture of good will if you will. I'm not sure where or when it originated but i know the american indians did it as such.

I tend to agree with vedder. Much like the origin of shaking hands, it seems that waving is just a sign of peace (that one isn't carrying a weapon). Of course, there's also the fact that people sometimes wave people toward them, or wave their hand in the air in class (so that the teacher will call on them), but these are much more obvious.

1. What is the history of waving?

The act of waving has been around for centuries and is believed to have originated in ancient Greece and Rome as a form of greeting and respect. It was also used as a way to signal during battles and performances.

2. How did waving evolve over time?

Waving evolved from a simple form of greeting to a more complex form of communication and expression. It was used in various cultures around the world and took on different meanings and gestures.

3. When did waving become popular in modern society?

Waving became more popular in modern society during the 19th and 20th centuries with the rise of globalization and international travel. It became a common gesture used to greet and bid farewell to people.

4. Are there any cultural differences in waving?

Yes, there are cultural differences in waving. In some cultures, waving is considered rude or offensive, while in others it is a common form of communication. It is important to be aware of cultural norms when waving in different countries.

5. Is there any scientific explanation for why humans wave?

Yes, there are a few theories on why humans wave. Some believe it is a way to release tension and show vulnerability, while others believe it is a way to establish social hierarchies. It may also be a learned behavior from early human ancestors who used hand gestures for communication.