1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me get my 2.1 please!

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    OK so I'm revising for my finals and have spent 14 hrs revising today and cannot for the life of me get the very last part of Qn 3 on the attached link.
    It begins "By minimising the potential energy........"

Could someone throw me a lifeline and explain what I need to do because my exam's in less than 12 hours and I'm nearly OD'ing on ProPlus! :bugeye:

Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2
    Ok, if you make a partial derivation respect to z and equal the result to zero, to minimize it; take off with the equality the constant pi and continue having ro, there put the argument that the integrand should be a constant (lambda) -the integration was over rdr - so you have the form requering, there you have actually directly the form of "a" and then go to pick the value required of lambda according to the problem . (put it more formal than me pls, i just taked a look)
    Last edited: May 19, 2005
  4. May 19, 2005 #3
    Yeah thats the one mate.
  5. May 20, 2005 #4

Sorry, hope you did ok on the test. How'd you do?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?