Prepare for Double Major in Biochem/Genetics for College

• Thread starter end3r7
  • Start date
In summary, the person is planning to double major in Biochem/Genetics in college and is looking for suggestions on how to prepare beforehand. They have already bought a textbook and the suggestion is to browse through the college bookstore to find books at the right level. They may be able to place out of introductory classes and go straight into major classes if they have taken AP or IB courses in high school.
end3r7
Next year will I will be going to college (yay...) to double major in Biochem/Genetics and would like to have some sort of knowledge already as I seem to have a lot of free time in high school.

So far, I've only bought the Schaum's Outline for Genetics, which in my opinion is pretty damn good (although I have nothing to compare it with I guess).

Any suggestions are welcome. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that you're going to have to sit through at least a year of general education classes (english, history, math, etc.) before you're going to really get into your major classes. There's not much you can really do to prepare beforehand, except what you're already doing -- reading textbooks. You might want to go to your local college bookstore and browse. You can see which textbooks are used for each class, and perhaps find a book that's at the right level for you. Keep in mind many classes change textbooks every year, so you may or may not be able to use a book you buy today for a class you take in two years.

- Warren

Well, I'm hoping to place out of most introductory classes, and I think I will (calc 1 & 2, english, history, bio and chem).

If you have high school classes (AP, IB, etc.) which can place you out of your GE classes, you may well go right into your major classes. Good luck to you! :)

- Warren

1. What is a double major in Biochem/Genetics?

A double major in Biochem/Genetics is when a student chooses to pursue two undergraduate degrees in both Biochemistry and Genetics. This means that the student will complete all the required courses and credits for both majors, resulting in a more comprehensive and specialized education.

2. Why should I consider a double major in Biochem/Genetics?

A double major in Biochem/Genetics can provide a well-rounded education in two related fields, opening up more opportunities for careers and graduate studies. It also allows students to explore their interests and passions in greater depth, and can make them stand out as a candidate in the job market.

3. How do I prepare for a double major in Biochem/Genetics?

To prepare for a double major in Biochem/Genetics, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule and make sure you have enough time and credits to complete both majors. It may also be helpful to talk to academic advisors or students who have completed a double major in these fields to get advice and insights.

4. What are some common courses in a double major in Biochem/Genetics?

Common courses in a double major in Biochem/Genetics include biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, cellular biology, and organic chemistry. Students may also take courses in related fields such as microbiology, bioinformatics, and biotechnology.

5. Can I still graduate on time with a double major in Biochem/Genetics?

It is possible to graduate on time with a double major in Biochem/Genetics, but it may require careful planning and time management. It is important to make sure you are on track with your course requirements and to communicate with your academic advisors to ensure you are meeting all the necessary graduation requirements.