1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me get prepared =D

1. Dec 31, 2005 #1
    Next year will I will be going to college (yay...) to double major in Biochem/Genetics and would like to have some sort of knowledge already as I seem to have a lot of free time in high school.

So far, I've only bought the Schaum's Outline for Genetics, which in my opinion is pretty damn good (although I have nothing to compare it with I guess).

Any suggestions are welcome. :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that you're going to have to sit through at least a year of general education classes (english, history, math, etc.) before you're going to really get into your major classes. There's not much you can really do to prepare beforehand, except what you're already doing -- reading textbooks. You might want to go to your local college bookstore and browse. You can see which textbooks are used for each class, and perhaps find a book that's at the right level for you. Keep in mind many classes change textbooks every year, so you may or may not be able to use a book you buy today for a class you take in two years.

- Warren

4. Dec 31, 2005 #3
    Well, I'm hoping to place out of most introductory classes, and I think I will (calc 1 & 2, english, history, bio and chem).

5. Dec 31, 2005 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have high school classes (AP, IB, etc.) which can place you out of your GE classes, you may well go right into your major classes. Good luck to you! :)

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?