1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me get this derivative right!

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(And you will be greatly rewarded in the afterlife)

It's crazy, I don't see where I goes wrong. Lookit..
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{x}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)} \right) [/tex]
    [tex]= \left(\frac{1}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]+(x/z)(-1)\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)^{-2}\left((1/2)(x^2+y^2)^{-1/2}2x+(1/z^2)(3/2)\sqrt{x^2+y^2}2x\right)[/tex]
    [tex]= \left(\frac{1}{z\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)} \right) [/tex]
    [tex]-\frac{3x^2\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{z^3\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2}\right)^2}[/tex]
    [tex]-\frac{x^2}{z\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2} \right)^2}[/tex]

The first term agrees with Mapple but not the second and third.
    In the second, the 3 is a 2 and in the third, the big parenthesis is not raised to the 2. (it's to the 1)

I have checked using the command 'simplify' that our two expressions are not equivalent. what Mapple does is that it get a (x²+y²)^½ out of the parenthesis before taking the derivative. And the worst thing is, when I do that too, I get the same result as mapple, but not when I don't take out (x²+y²)^½ first. I've banged my head on the desk for hours on this and get's see why I don't get the same answer by the two "methods". Help me obi-wan kenobi. You are my only hope.
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

It seems that this term is wrong. I get:
    [tex]- \frac{x ^ 2}{z\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2} \left( \sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2} + \frac{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2} ^ 3}{z ^ 2} \right) ^ 2}[/tex]
    *You seem to forget a [itex]\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2}[/itex] in the denominator...*
    You should check it again :wink:

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Here's what I got

For that term, I get [tex]-\frac{x^2}{z\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\left(\sqrt{x^2+y^2} +\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}^3}{z^2} \right)^2}[/tex]

When I simplify that term I get [tex]-\frac{x^2}{\left( x^2+y^2\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} \left( x^2+y^2+z^2\right)^2}[/tex]

I attached a Maple worksheet with my work (I use Maple v9.51) rename the file without the .txt so it ends with .mw (PF wouldn't let me upload .mw files, but .txt OK).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  5. Nov 11, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

VietDao: you'Re right, but it was just a Latex error. I have that too and haver edited the original post.

I still don't see where my mistake is.
    Here's what my mapple has to say:

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?