1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me guys.

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1
    Help me guys........

Could anybody please refer me a book in physics for class +1 and +2 that covers all the concepts in detail?? No single book covers all the concepts and I am mad after referring 5 different books and still getting nothing to improve my concepts. Please help me guys..... I need an all in one book.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Help me guys........

What is your background in math and physics?

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3

I need a book for +1 and +2.

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4

As in Physics I & II as in Mechanics and Electricity and Magnetism? In that case, if you're just beginning (with regard to this, you should answer George Jones' question) and on a budget, look into the AP exam review manuals for those respective classes. If you want something more comprehensive for a bit more money, try Young and Freedman's University Physics. It's not too rigorous but it's got great conceptual development IMO.

6. Aug 14, 2009 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, I don't know what "+1 and +2" means.

7. Aug 14, 2009 #6

+1 and +2 are the classes after 10th.

8. Aug 14, 2009 #7

Thanks sir....... Thanks a lot.

9. Aug 14, 2009 #8

+1 and +2 are how the junior and senior years in high school are referred to here in India GJ.

10. Aug 14, 2009 #9

...so Mechanics and E&M? Is my previous assumption correct?

11. Aug 14, 2009 #10

What math do you know though? You need calculus before you can do any real physics.

12. Aug 14, 2009 #11

supreabajaj - If you are not preparing for IIT, get some book like S.L. Arora. It is similar to R.D. Sharma. The book does a decent job of explaining things and is supplemented with a lot of sums. Don't get Pradeeps guides. They are terrible! If you don't mind a little more rigor than the average NCERT / Stateboard syllabus, then get H.C. Verma or D.C. Pandey. They will help you prepare for all the competitive exams like the JEE and AIEEE etc.

13. Aug 14, 2009 #12

THANKS A LOT..... Waise I am not preparing for any of the entrance exams. Just wanted to cover all that I missed in the last two years.

14. Aug 14, 2009 #13

But Anirudh..... H.C. Verma or D.C. Pandey don't have a detailed theory. There's something new to be learnt in every question and they do not cover all that in the theory part. What to do???

15. Aug 15, 2009 #14

H.C. Verma and Pandey are geared towards cracking entrance tests, which is why I suggested them. I've known quite a few students who don't understand ANY physics but can solve a JEE paper faster than someone who knows the material.

That being said, it's not that the books are useless. You can learn the material from elsewhere and then practice using those books and you're grounding will be good. Like I said, for a school level, pick up S.L. Arora or something along those lines.

If you are aiming to prepare yourself for college, and not for school, get Resnick and Halleday. The older the version, the better the book is my rule of thumb. Another book at this level is Young and Freedman's University physics. I haven't used this book, but many have told me they like it.

If you have an IIT in your city, check if they have a bookstore. These stores generally cater to the college students and you can buy the aforementioned books from there.
    If you're in Chennai, you can come and pick my material. It's just collecting dust.

16. Aug 15, 2009 #15

Thanks a lot Anirudh... Is there any theory in Resnick and Halliday??

17. Aug 15, 2009 #16

Yes. It is good for a first course. It uses basic calculus so be sure to learnt that.

18. Aug 15, 2009 #17

Okay. I'll try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook