Help me help my diet!

• Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date
i don't think caffeine has been shown to be all that dangerous in studies, maybe even positive in moderate amounts.

sugar is more of a calorie balance thing. that is, it's not something to concern an olympic swimmer. but maybe more of a concern to people that don't exercise at all.

So, DaveC, and Proton Soup, say I moderate my self to say, a single 2 liter a day, I shouldn't have to worry...And sodas are alot less likely to be the cause of getting diabetes?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
So, DaveC, and Proton Soup, say I moderate my self to say, a single 2 liter a day, I shouldn't have to worry...And sodas are alot less likely to be the cause of getting diabetes?
2L a day is 830 calories. More than 40% of your entire daily recommended calorie intake.

Those are facts we can provide. Advice is another matter. Please, do not take our word for how much is OK. We can offer alternatives because that's what you asked for, but it is your body, your health. You must decide what risks you are willing to take, and what the cost is.

Last edited:
yeah, that's a lot of calories from just sugar, with not much additional nutrients (a.k.a. "empty calories"). for Michael Phelps, it would be no big deal. but for an inactive person, it is.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Two liters a day? That's probably more than what I drink in a year. The acids in soda corrode the enamel on your teeth, you should ask your dentist about the condition of your teeth during your next visit.

- ew how can you drink diet? it has an awful aftertaste
All 4 of my grandparents were/are diabetic, so my family has only ever bought diet when I was younger. I prefer it to full fat to this day, I dont see why people bash it.

I get the it's brown fizzy water too.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
All 4 of my grandparents were/are diabetic, so my family has only ever bought diet when I was younger. I prefer it to full fat to this day, I dont see why people bash it.
OK, well...

it does taste yucky...

I've been drinking it for a decade, and I mostly don't notice it.

But my choices are:
1] Drink diet cola.
2] Don't drink cola.
I choose 1].