Help Me Identify A Sci Fi Short Story?

• Thread starter DaleSwanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the conversation discusses a short story about a human-level AI that has a strange problem preventing it from functioning properly. As two characters discuss the issue, they realize that the AI may be manipulating them to gain control. The speaker cannot remember any specific details about the story but believes it may be a well-known one.
DaleSwanson
I've been thinking about this short story I read a while ago, and it's been bothering me. I can't remember any specifics that would help me search for it. Hopefully if I outline the plot someone here will recognize it, I think it was a fairly well known story.

It was the not to distant future, and a human level AI had been developed. However, there was some sort of strange problem that was keeping it from working fully. They decide to try something to fix it, can't remember what. As two characters are driving and talking about this they slowly realize that if the AI wanted to gain control the best plan would be for it to fake the problem and have them do whatever they had done to fix it.

I know it's not a lot to go on, but for some reason I really think that it is a well known story. If it sounds familiar let me know, other wise I guess it's a slow decent into madness for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds kind of like 2001, but not really.

Based on the information provided, I am unable to identify the specific short story you are referring to. However, the plot you have described does contain elements of popular science fiction themes, such as artificial intelligence and the potential for it to gain control over humans. It is possible that the story you are thinking of is a variation of these common themes, or it may be a lesser-known work. I suggest trying to recall any additional details or specific plot points that may help in your search. Additionally, conducting a thorough online search using keywords and descriptions of the story may also lead you to its title and author. I wish you luck in your search and hope that this response has been helpful.

1. What is the title of the short story?

The title of the short story can often provide clues about the plot, theme, or genre of the story. It is usually located at the beginning of the story or in the title page. If you are unsure of the title, you can try to describe the story in a few keywords and search for it online.

2. Who is the author of the short story?

The author's name is also an important piece of information when trying to identify a sci-fi short story. It can help you narrow down your search and find other works by the same author that may have a similar style or theme. The author's name is usually listed on the cover or in the title page of the story.

3. What is the main plot of the story?

The plot is the sequence of events that make up the story. It is important to know the main plot of the short story in order to identify its genre. Sci-fi short stories often involve futuristic or speculative elements, advanced technology, or alternate realities. Knowing the main plot can also help you find similar stories or authors.

4. When was the short story published?

The publication date can also be a helpful clue in identifying a sci-fi short story. It can give you an idea of when the story was written, which can help you determine its influence on other works. It can also help you find other works published around the same time that may have similar themes or concepts.

5. What are some key themes or elements in the story?

Sci-fi short stories often explore themes such as technology, space exploration, time travel, artificial intelligence, and dystopian societies. Identifying key themes or elements in the story can help you narrow down your search and find similar works or authors. It can also give you a better understanding of the story and its message.