Identifying an Intriguing Insect: A Park Bike Ride Discovery

In summary, the conversation discusses the sighting of a small insect in the park and the request for help in identifying it. After some discussion, it is determined that the insect is a mole cricket, which is not favored by gardeners and is commonly found in hot and dusty environments. A link with a clearer image of the mole cricket is also provided.
ElinaY
I've been riding my bike in the park and I've noticed this guy passing by. It was of a hand palm size. Intriguing. Can you help me identify the insect?
image.jpg

Biology news on Phys.org
Kind of hard to make out in that pic but it looks like a cricket.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
Kind of hard to make out in that pic but it looks like a cricket.

If you click on the pic you get a nice full rez version.

Pythagorean said:
If you click on the pic you get a nice full rez version.
I clicked on it and it gets a little bigger but still hard to make out.

Definitely a mole cricket, common in hot and dusty environments, here's a closer view of the mole looking creature.

http://www.bodyscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Mole_cricket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to identify an insect?

The best way to identify an insect is to carefully observe its physical characteristics, such as its size, shape, color, and number of legs. You can also take note of its behavior and habitat to help narrow down the possibilities.

2. Can I use a picture to help identify an insect?

Yes, a clear picture of the insect can be a helpful tool in identification. Make sure to take a photo from multiple angles and include any distinguishing features, such as patterns or markings.

3. How can I tell if an insect is harmful or beneficial?

Some insects can be harmful to plants or humans, while others are beneficial for pollination or pest control. Research the specific insect in question or consult with a local entomologist for more information on its potential impact.

4. Are there any online resources for identifying insects?

Yes, there are many online resources available for identifying insects, such as insect identification websites, forums, and apps. It's important to cross-reference information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

5. Can I bring the insect to a local extension office or university for identification?

Yes, many extension offices and universities have entomologists or experts who can help identify insects. It's best to contact them beforehand to confirm their availability and any specific instructions for bringing in the insect.