How Can I Understand Rotor and Partial Derivatives in Multivariable Functions?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of rotor and finding solutions to the equation (something)dx + (something)dy + (something)dz. The equation is a key topic in differential equations and can be found in any book on the subject. The equation may not always have solutions and there are integrability conditions to determine when a solution exists. There are various methods for finding solutions, such as Mayer's method. This topic is too extensive for a forum discussion, but more specific questions can be addressed after further reading.
Bruneleski

Homework Statement

Last week we've been doing partial derivatives and I understood all that , but also skipped last lecture.I asked colleague about the lecture and he told me that professor mentioned something about rotor and he gave an example of such and such problem.Anyway here it goes:
1)Prove that the expression (something)dx+(something)dy+(something)dz is a differential of a function and find that function.
2)Find u(x,y,z) if du=(something)dx+(something)dy+(something)dz
You get the picture.
Now I've looked up about the rotor stuff and found it has something to do with vector fields.So I tell that to my friend but he says lecturer didn't even mention anything like that, he says they used integrals on multivariable functions and so on.
Where I can find out more about these types of problems? What to look for in textbooks?
Thanks.

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to look for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moved thread, as this seems to me to be more of a conceptual question rather than a specific homework question.

The equation du = P(x,y,z) dx + Q(x,y,z) dy + R(x,y,z) dz is a key equation and is the starting point for many important topics. You will find the equation described in any book on differential equations. Try Piaggio - an old book, but useful. This equation does not always admit solutions and there are integrability conditions that will tell you when a solution does exist. When solutions exist, there are several methods for finding them. A simple one is called Mayer's method in Piaggio's book.

The discussion of this equation is too long for this forum. You are effectively asking for an entire lecture. If after reading up the material you have more specific questions, those could be tackled here.

MarcusAgrippa said:
The discussion of this equation is too long for this forum. You are effectively asking for an entire lecture. If after reading up the material you have more specific questions, those could be tackled here.
+1

1. What is the first step in identifying a problem?

The first step in identifying a problem is to clearly define and understand the issue at hand. This involves gathering information, analyzing data, and identifying any underlying causes or contributing factors.

2. How can I determine the scope of a problem?

To determine the scope of a problem, it is important to consider the extent to which it affects individuals, groups, and communities. This can be done by conducting research, consulting experts, and gathering feedback from those directly impacted by the problem.

3. What are some common methods for identifying problems?

Some common methods for identifying problems include brainstorming, conducting surveys or interviews, analyzing data and trends, and conducting root cause analysis. Each method has its own benefits and can be used in combination to gain a comprehensive understanding of the problem.

4. How can I prioritize problems once they have been identified?

Prioritizing problems involves determining which issues are most urgent or have the greatest impact. This can be done by considering the potential consequences of each problem, the resources and time required to address them, and the level of urgency from stakeholders.

5. What are some tips for effectively communicating identified problems?

When communicating identified problems, it is important to be clear, concise, and provide supporting evidence. It can also be helpful to involve stakeholders in the process and to propose potential solutions or steps for addressing the problem. Additionally, being open to feedback and actively listening to others can help facilitate productive discussions about the problem.