Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me identify this rock

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    Can anyone help me identify this rock a friend of mine said it might be a nest of some sort or an egg curious to know if anybody has any ideas on what it is thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3
    Thankyou I think you are correct I found the link helpful and very interesting

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4
    Do you I think these are dino eggs 1485223517095.jpg 1485223535150.jpg 1485223551447.jpg

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5
  7. Jan 23, 2017 #6

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

8. Jan 23, 2017 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Unfortunately not. The first two pix in post #4 show a fossil bi-valve sea shell in a water worn pebble. The sea shell filled with silt, which has survived, but most of the shell material has been weathered away due to higher carbonate content. Can you see the internal muscle attachments on the filling? There are many other smaller fossils in that pebble.

9. Jan 24, 2017 #8
    I don't quite see the seashell thing these two rocks were found together in northern Arizona around st. John's area I believe petrified eggs maybe I don't know you're curious though they look so they're turning to Agate Maybe but then again I'm not an expert just thought they were cool

10. Jan 24, 2017 #9
  11. Jan 24, 2017 #10

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Please identify rocks with a number that stays with the specimen in all photos.
    Post #9, top rock, could be many curved sections of fossil sea shells showing on the surface of a water worn pebble.
    Post #9, bottom rock, onion skin weathering, ex-foliation, maybe from a soil or exposed to sun and frost.

Context is everything. How did they get to where you found them? Were these found with other rounded pebbles in a stream bed or dug out of boulder clay? Were they part of the local bedrock? Did they come from glacial outwash? What part of the valley?

12. Jan 24, 2017 #11
    Those rocks were found somewhere around Saint John Arizona I'm not surface of the location because a friend of mine gave them to me just before he passed away so that's all I know about them sorry
    I will definitely take more care in my pictures and identifying each side of the specimens make it easier to identify thank you for the advice

13. Jan 25, 2017 #12

Baluncore

Science Advisor

20 km up the road from St Johns are the rocks of the Petrified Forest National Park.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrified_Forest_National_Park#Fossils

The proximity to Triassic formations suggests fossil reptile eggs may be present in the vicinity. The pictures do not convince me that you have fossil eggs, but rounded rocks in the vicinity could be early dinosaur or crocodile eggs. It makes a good story and encourages a healthy interest in geology.

14. Jan 25, 2017 #13
    So you think it's worth a trip to the university to have them looked at a bit closer then

15. Jan 25, 2017 #14

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Probably not. On the balance of probabilities, they are worth more as a mystery than as a certainty.

16. Jan 25, 2017 #15
    Ok thanks

17. Jan 25, 2017 #16

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

shell in mudstone.JPG

the shell would have curved right over the top of that arrowed yellow arrowed area but it have now worn away
    Bits of shell can still be seen along the red dotted line and there will still be more of the shell on the inside

Dave

18. Jan 29, 2017 #17
    I think this is a Septarian Nodule, although not as pretty as some

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted