Linear Independence of Given Vectors: Explanation and Steps

• Thread starter chealsealee
  • Start date
In summary, if the determinant of a matrix A is zero, the vectors in question are linearly dependent. Else, they are linearly independent.
chealsealee
help me in this question!

given the following vectors,

1. (8 0 4),(0 2 0),(4 0 2),(0 4 0)

2.(0 3 4),(-3 0 5),(-4 5 0)

linearly independent or linearly independent? why??
show the steps, please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Too easy. This is HW, isn't it?

Make the three vectors the three columns of a 3x3 matrix. Find the determinant. If the determinant is zero, linearly dependent. Else, linearly independent.

csprof2000 said:
Too easy.

I'm afraid you should have first given a definiton of easy...(sorry for this)

To the OP: if you are interested in another method without utilizing determinants then here we go. What does it mean for a set of vectors to be lin. dependent or lin. independent?

Let:

[tex]v_1,v_2,...,v_n[/tex] be a set of vectors in R^n. Then this set of vectors is said to be lineraly independent if there exists a trivial linear combination equal to zero. In other words, if the following dependence relation:

[tex]c_1v_1+...+c_nv_n=0[/tex] ----(@)

is possible only and only for [tex]c_i=0,\forall i \in N[/tex]

Now,the question, naturally, might arise how to determine c_i's? right?

Well, let's look at it this way, if we would define a matrix A, such that v_i's are its columns, i.e

[tex]A=[v_1,v_2,...,v_n][/tex]

Then (@) actually is the following homogeneous matrix equation Ax=0 ---(@@)

Where [tex]x=[c_1,...,c_n]^T[/tex]

Now, all you need to do is solve (@@), and see whether you have one unique solution(which will be your trivial solution, and thus the vectors will be lin. independent), or it will have infinitely many solutions,(in which case the vectors will be lin. dependent).

sutupidmath said:
I'm afraid you should have first given a definiton of easy...(sorry for this)

To the OP: if you are interested in another method without utilizing determinants then here we go. What does it mean for a set of vectors to be lin. dependent or lin. independent?

Let:

[tex]v_1,v_2,...,v_n[/tex] be a set of vectors in R^n. Then this set of vectors is said to be lineraly independent if there exists a trivial linear combination equal to zero.
There always "exists a trivial linear combination equal to zero"!

You should say "if there does NOTexist a non-trivial linear combination equal to zero".

In other words, if the following dependence relation:

[tex]c_1v_1+...+c_nv_n=0[/tex] ----(@)

is possible only and only for [tex]c_i=0,\forall i \in N[/tex]

Now,the question, naturally, might arise how to determine c_i's? right?

Well, let's look at it this way, if we would define a matrix A, such that v_i's are its columns, i.e

[tex]A=[v_1,v_2,...,v_n][/tex]

Then (@) actually is the following homogeneous matrix equation Ax=0 ---(@@)

Where [tex]x=[c_1,...,c_n]^T[/tex]

Now, all you need to do is solve (@@), and see whether you have one unique solution(which will be your trivial solution, and thus the vectors will be lin. independent), or it will have infinitely many solutions,(in which case the vectors will be lin. dependent).

HallsofIvy said:
There always "exists a trivial linear combination equal to zero"!

You should say "if there does NOTexist a non-trivial linear combination equal to zero".

You are right Halls as always. Yeah, what i meant to say is that if the only linear combination equal to zero is the trivial one.

You guys do realize you are doing the homework for the OP...?

1. What is linear independence?

Linear independence refers to the property of a set of vectors where none of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, no vector in the set is redundant or unnecessary. This concept is important in linear algebra and is used to determine the dimension of a vector space.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can perform a linear dependence test. This involves creating a system of equations where the coefficients of the vectors are the variables. If the only solution to the system is the trivial solution (where all variables are equal to 0), then the vectors are linearly independent. If there are non-trivial solutions, then the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. What are the steps to show linear independence of given vectors?

The steps to show linear independence of given vectors are:

1. Write out the vectors in a system of equations.
  2. Create an augmented matrix with the coefficients of the variables.
  3. Use row operations to reduce the matrix to reduced row-echelon form.
  4. If the only solution is the trivial solution, the vectors are linearly independent. If there are non-trivial solutions, the vectors are linearly dependent.

4. Can a set of vectors be both linearly independent and dependent?

No, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly independent and dependent. By definition, a set of vectors is either linearly independent or linearly dependent. If a set of vectors is linearly independent, then it cannot have any linear combinations that equal 0 (except for the trivial solution). If a set of vectors is linearly dependent, then there must exist at least one linear combination that equals 0.

5. Why is the concept of linear independence important in linear algebra?

The concept of linear independence is important in linear algebra because it allows us to determine the dimension of a vector space. In addition, linearly independent vectors form a basis for a vector space, meaning that any vector in that space can be expressed as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving vectors in higher dimensions.