1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me integrating this

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    I am reading a thermodynamics book. I am confused on how they say use the chain rule Here. it makes no sense to me how they go from dV/dt to (dV/ds)(ds/dt) . I know how the chain rule works ,just dont know where they got these values
    Picture 2.png
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Well they use the chain rule in the normal way here. If V is a function of s and s is a function of t, V(s(t)), then the chain rule tells you that [itex] (V \circ s)'(t)=V'(s(t))s'(t)[/itex]. Is that more familiar? This is Identical to [tex]\frac{dV}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]. To display this a bit more clearly lets start with the function V(s(t)). We then use the chain rule by substituting u=s(t). So [tex](V \circ s)'(t)=V'(u)u'=\frac{d V}{d u} \frac{d u}{d t}=\frac{d V}{d s} \frac{d s}{d t}[/tex].

Last edited: May 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook