Help Make Math Connect in General Relativity

In summary: The point is that, in an orthonormal basis, the Riemann tensor components are not just numbers, but have physical dimensions. This means that, for example, ##R_{2323}## is not the same thing as ##\hat{R}_{2323}##. On the other hand, the Riemann tensor components in a coordinate basis are dimensionless.In summary, the conversation discusses the Morris-Thorne wormhole metric and the metric tensor derived from it. The Christoffel symbols and Riemann tensor elements are calculated and the formula for the Riemann tensor is used to find specific elements. However, there is confusion about how to convert from a coordinate basis to an orthonormal basis and the
space-time
As some may know, I have been studying the Morris-Thorne wormhole metric for quite some time now.

ds2= -c2dt2 + dl2 + (b2 + l2)(dθ2 + sin2(θ)d∅2)

Now, from this space-time interval, it is easy to see how I would deduce the following metric tensor:

g00= -1
g11 = 1
g22= (b2 + l2)
g33= (b2 + l2)sin2(θ)

where
x0 = ct
x1= l
x2= θ
x3= ∅

Now with this metric tensor, the Christoffel symbols yield:
Γ122= - L
Γ133= - Lsin2(θ)
Γ212 and its counterpart with the lower indices reversed (Γ221) = L/(b2 + l2)

Γ233 = - sin(θ)cos(θ)

Γ313 and its counterpart = L/(b2 + l2)
Γ323 and its counterpart= cot(θ)

If you plug these Christoffel symbols into the Riemann tensor formula:

Rabmv = (∂Γavb/ ∂xm) - (∂Γamb/ ∂xv) + ΓamcΓcvb - ΓavcΓcmb

you will see that the following Riemann tensor elements equal as follows (I am doing these specific elements for a certain reason):

R2323 = (b2sin2(θ))/(b2 + l2)
R0323 , R1323 and R3323 = 0

Now, I did these specific elements for the purpose of calculating the purely covariant version of the Riemann tensor element R2323 using the formula:

R2323 = g2fRf323

Doing this yields the following result:

R2323= b2sin2(θ)

The following sources however, (http://www.spacetimetravel.org/wurmlochflug/wurmlochflug.html) (http://www.physics.uofl.edu/wkomp/teaching/spring2006/589/final/wormholes.pdf ) (pg. 4 on the PDF) said that Rθ∅θ∅ (which is in fact R2323) = b2/ (b2 + l2)2

This is the part that I do not understand. I have shown you clearly with the use of formulas how I derived

R2323= b2sin2(θ)

They however, did not show any work on how they got
R2323 = b2/ (b2 + l2)2

Can anyone please tell me how they got that (starting with the metric tensor in matrix form and going forward)?

I know that they worked in an orthonormal basis. My problem with that is this: I know what a basis is and I know what an orthonormal basis is. I know what basis vectors are and I know (or at least I think I know) how to derive basis vectors using a metric tensor. What I do not know, is what to do with said basis vectors after I have derived them or how to take a tensor product (despite the fact that I know what one is).

Essentially, I don't know how you convert from a coordinate basis to orthonormal with regards to these tensors (like the Riemann).

That is why I ask if someone can please tell me what they did differently in the beginning of their calculations to get:
R2323 = b2/ (b2 + l2)2

instead of

R2323= b2sin2(θ)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
space-time said:
I know what an orthonormal basis is.

But you are not using one; you are using a coordinate basis, as you appear to be aware. That is, your basis vectors are ##\partial / \partial t##, ##\partial / \partial l##, ##\partial / \partial \theta##, and ##\partial / \partial \phi##. These are orthogonal (i.e., the inner product of any two different ones is zero), but not normalized (i.e., the inner product of each one with itself is not 1).

Since they are already orthogonal, normalizing them is easy. I'll just write down the normalized vectors, and you should be able to see how I obtained them. The normalized vectors are ##\partial / \partial t##, ##\partial / \partial l##, ##\left( 1 / \sqrt{b^2 + l^2} \right) \partial / \partial \theta##, and ##\left( 1 / \sin \theta \sqrt{b^2 + l^2} \right)\partial / \partial \phi##.

We can express the transformation between these two sets of basis vectors by a matrix, ##L##, such that ##\hat{e}_a L^{\mu}{}_a e_{\mu}##, where the "hatted" vectors (on the LHS) are the normalized ones, and the non-hatted ones (on the RHS) are the coordinate ones. Obviously, in this case, the matrix ##L## is diagonal, with components ##\left( 1, 1, 1 / \sqrt{b^2 + l^2}, 1 / \sin \theta \sqrt{b^2 + l^2} \right)##.

With the matrix ##L##, you can transform any tensor from the coordinate basis to the orthonormal basis; you just use one "copy" of ##L## for each index of the tensor. For example, ##\hat{R}_{2323} = L^{\mu}{}_2 L^{\nu}{}_3 L^{\rho}{}_2 L^{\sigma}{}_3 R_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma}##. Since ##L## is diagonal, the only coordinate basis component that appears on the RHS is ##R_{2323}##, so we have

$$
\hat{R}_{2323} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{b^2 + l^2}} \frac{1}{\sin \theta \sqrt{b^2 + l^2}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{b^2 + l^2}} \frac{1}{\sin \theta \sqrt{b^2 + l^2}} b^2 \sin^2 \theta = \frac{b^2}{\left(b^2 + l^2\right)^2}
$$

which matches the references you gave.

1. What is the concept of "math connection" in general relativity?

The concept of "math connection" in general relativity refers to the mathematical framework used to describe the relationship between space, time, and gravity. This framework involves using advanced mathematical concepts, such as tensor calculus, to describe the curvature of spacetime and how it is affected by the presence of matter and energy.

2. Why is it important to have a strong understanding of math in general relativity?

Math is essential in general relativity because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of the universe on a large scale. The equations and concepts of general relativity are highly mathematical, and without a strong understanding of math, it would be impossible to fully comprehend the theory.

3. How does math connect different aspects of general relativity?

Math connects different aspects of general relativity by providing a unified framework that describes the relationships between space, time, and gravity. The principles of general relativity, such as the curvature of spacetime and the effects of gravity, can all be expressed and understood through mathematical equations and concepts.

4. What challenges arise when trying to make math connect in general relativity?

One of the main challenges in making math connect in general relativity is the complexity of the mathematical equations and concepts involved. These can be difficult to understand and manipulate, requiring a high level of mathematical proficiency. Additionally, general relativity deals with extreme scales and conditions, making it challenging to apply traditional mathematical methods.

5. How can a better understanding of math help advance our understanding of general relativity?

A better understanding of math can help advance our understanding of general relativity by allowing us to develop more accurate and comprehensive theories. By improving our mathematical techniques and tools, we can make more precise predictions and explore new aspects of general relativity that were previously inaccessible. This can lead to new insights and advancements in our understanding of the universe.