Naming My Ghost Pepper: Help Me Choose from Russ, Greg, V50, Doc Al, and Monique

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Caspar!In summary, Russ Waters is the creator of the Bhut Jolokia chili pepper, Greg Bernhardt is a strong and in control person, Vanadium 50 is not to be messed with, and Doc Al likes sardines. Monique is fiery under her cool exterior, and nominations for the ghost pepper should come from the forum members. V50 is the first mentor Rhody had on the forum, and he is pithy, short, and to the point. If V50 makes an appearance, Russ Waters can win the ghost pepper, but I vote for Janus.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok, I need a name for my ghost pepper, but I want to name it after someone on the forum.

Names I'm considering

Russ (Russ_Watters) because Russ is hot and fiery.

Greg (Greg Bernhardt) because he's strong and in control and can make your eyes tear up.

V50 (Vanadium 50) because you don't want to mess with him.

Doc Al because, well, because he likes sardines, and that would go with the ghosts.

Monique because under that cool exterior, she can be very fiery.

I don't want to list too many because I want to see some creative nominations.

Here is my pepper, taken just now, you can see the flower buds.

002fzc.jpg

So, recommend someone with a brief explanation of why, then I will put up a poll so we can vote.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am in love with your ghost pepper :!)

It would call it ice-cream!

what's a ghost pepper?

fourier jr said:
what's a ghost pepper?
It's no longer the hottest pepper, but still very hot.

The Bhut Jolokia[1][2] (Assamese: ভূত জলকীয়া bhut jôlôkia; Bangla: নাগা মরিচ naga morich; Manipuri: উমোরোক umorok[3][4]), as it is commonly known—also known variously by other names (see etymology section below) in its native region, sometimes Naga Jolokia—is a chili pepper previously recognized by Guinness World Records as the hottest pepper in the world. The pepper is typically called the ghost chili or ghost pepper by U.S. media

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_chili_pepper

Anthromorphic qualities for a Ghost Pepper, eh. That being the case, my vote goes to V50. He was the first mentor I had run in when I joined. He can be pithy, short and to the point and does not suffer fools easily. No offense intended, I respect and admire your influence here as a mentor.

I never dreamed when I started growing these hard to grow things we would be naming one after a person. Having said that, I will be starting a "The Hard to Grow Thread" where I plan to continue the saga of improving my growing technique. I know some here grow beautiful, but finicky flowers, etc... I want the thread title to be open ended. There may be knowledge that could apply to different species of plants, not just peppers. Having it in one place would help to keep to have to go digging in different threads for it.

Rhody...

Caspar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy Hallowee

See post #6 and weep, contestants!

Evo said:
Monique because under that cool exterior, she can be very fiery
I'm honored, you know me too well :wink:

I think you should call them Turbo peppers. The reason is obvious: he's the expert on hot stuff :biggrin:

Boo Rhody. Or anyone else's name that you see fit. But since the seeds DID come from him...

Ms Music said:
Boo Rhody. Or anyone else's name that you see fit. But since the seeds DID come from him...
I can be persuaded to change my vote if and only if V50 makes an appearance by posting in this thread !

Rhody... evil dooer, (shades of Peng...)

turbo said:
Caspar!
Turbo,

If you meant "Casper the Friendly Ghost", the the second "a" becomes an "e", unless you had something else in mind.

Rhody...

Ooh Pengwuino! Looks innocent, but will make you regret messing with him.

Micromass, no, micro is too sweet for this pepper, I'll name my flower after him.

Lisab because she looks like a plant fairy.

Remember, nominations must belong to PF. This is, after all, a plant that exists due to PF (and Rhody).

Maybe if Russ Waters the plant ?

PAllen said:
Maybe if Russ Waters the plant ?
:rofl:

Redbelly - whoever tries it, gets red. Belly included.

Borek said:
Redbelly - whoever tries it, gets red. Belly included.
That's good!

If he wins, maybe he can make an avatar for my collection with smoke tendrils coming out of his beak.

I vote for rhody, too, although Jimmy is a nice name.

If it has to be a forum member I vote for Janus. If you nix the J that is where the fire will be the day after...

lisab: She's hot. And Green.

I'm a math major, not a creative writing major.

IMP said:
If it has to be a forum member I vote for Janus. If you nix the J that is where the fire will be the day after...
Nice... :devil: :biggrin:

Rhody...

Drizzle - mysterious and explosive :biggrin:

Doesn't Zz water his his orchids in the nude? Just askin'...

Evo said:
Here is my pepper, taken just now, you can see the flower buds.

002fzc.jpg
Good job, Evo. Are going to make sure it pollinates by shaking ? The pepper guy in Oregon e-mailed me and said to always keep a fan on them, will that accomplish the same thing ? He also said to key a sharp eye under the leaves that's where aphids usually first appear and they will drink all the liquid from the plant as well as the roots. Aphids can kill a plant in less than two weeks untreated, he claims. He recommends NEEM oil for them. I haven't looked into it yet. I bet you will have peppers in about another two to three weeks, sooner if you can somehow keep the plant at 80+ F during the day. I just sent him another 4 or 5 questions and if he responds I will post his advice. I will say one thing, he is an out of the box thinker.

Rhody... :smile:

turbo said:
Doesn't Zz water his his orchids in the nude? Just askin'...
Way too much info turbo...

Rhody... :blushing: :bugeye:

rhody said:
Good job, Evo. Are going to make sure it pollinates by shaking ? The pepper guy in Oregon e-mailed me and said to always keep a fan on them, will that accomplish the same thing ? He also said to key a sharp eye under the leaves that's where aphids usually first appear and they will drink all the liquid from the plant as well as the roots. Aphids can kill a plant in less than two weeks untreated, he claims. He recommends NEEM oil for them. I haven't looked into it yet. I bet you will have peppers in about another two to three weeks, sooner if you can somehow keep the plant at 80+ F during the day. I just sent him another 4 or 5 questions and if he responds I will post his advice. I will say one thing, he is an out of the box thinker.

Rhody... :smile:
I've tried to use Neem oil before, spent a fortune on it and all of my plants died. Bought a can of Raid house & garden and those plants lived. I will never use Neem oil again, the aphids loved the stuff.

Evo said:
I've tried to use Neem oil before, spent a fortune on it and all of my plants died. Bought a can of Raid house & garden and those plants lived. I will never use Neem oil again, the aphids loved the stuff.
Heh, heh, maybe the guy from Seattle is trying to wax the competition, what about the fan idea ?

Rhody...

rhody said:
Heh, heh, maybe the guy from Seattle is trying to wax the competition, what about the fan idea ?

Rhody...
The fan is a good idea because it will shake the plant, similar to natural breezes outdoors. If you are forgetful, the fan would be the way to go to cause pollination, otherwise a good thumping/vibrating/shaking several times a day will guarantee pollination of peppers.

After you name it and become emotionally attached to its heat, beauty, charm, and wit, how can you or anyone you know possibly eat it ?!

Rhody... :!) :yuck:

Why don't you just name him a normal plant name like 'Wayne' or 'Jeff'?

KingNothing said:
Why don't you just name him a normal plant name like 'Wayne' or 'Jeff'?
Those are good plant names, but rather common.

I think I'm leaning towards Monique. She has the green going in her avatar, and the plant looks like a Monique, lush, vibrant, tranquil, with killer seed pods. :tongue:

fuzzyfelt said:
I vote for rhody, too, although Jimmy is a nice name.

You beat me... and Jimmy... to this response! Good job!

I'd put my vote to ZapperZ. Sounds just right for a good pepper

I can't help but nominate myself!

FlexGunship... often way over the top, too much for the average person to handle, with a preposterously awesome name.

Oh yeah, and narcissistic... I heard ghost peppers were narcissistic.

<h2>1. What is the significance of the names Russ, Greg, V50, Doc Al, and Monique?</h2><p>These names were suggested by the community and do not have any specific significance. They are simply options for naming the ghost pepper.</p><h2>2. Who is responsible for choosing the name for the ghost pepper?</h2><p>The ultimate decision for the name of the ghost pepper lies with the person who discovered or grew the pepper. However, they may take suggestions from others, such as the community or fellow scientists.</p><h2>3. Can I suggest a different name for the ghost pepper?</h2><p>Yes, you can suggest a different name for the ghost pepper. However, the final decision lies with the person who grew or discovered the pepper.</p><h2>4. Is there a specific reason why these names were chosen?</h2><p>No, these names were chosen based on suggestions from the community and do not have any specific reason behind them.</p><h2>5. When will the final name for the ghost pepper be chosen?</h2><p>The final name for the ghost pepper will be chosen by the person who discovered or grew the pepper. It is up to their discretion when they will make the decision.</p>

1. What is the significance of the names Russ, Greg, V50, Doc Al, and Monique?

These names were suggested by the community and do not have any specific significance. They are simply options for naming the ghost pepper.

2. Who is responsible for choosing the name for the ghost pepper?

The ultimate decision for the name of the ghost pepper lies with the person who discovered or grew the pepper. However, they may take suggestions from others, such as the community or fellow scientists.

3. Can I suggest a different name for the ghost pepper?

Yes, you can suggest a different name for the ghost pepper. However, the final decision lies with the person who grew or discovered the pepper.

4. Is there a specific reason why these names were chosen?

No, these names were chosen based on suggestions from the community and do not have any specific reason behind them.

5. When will the final name for the ghost pepper be chosen?

The final name for the ghost pepper will be chosen by the person who discovered or grew the pepper. It is up to their discretion when they will make the decision.

Back