Help me name my ghost pepper!

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
rhody
Gold Member
Doesn't Zz water his his orchids in the nude? Just askin'....
Way too much info turbo...

Rhody... :blushing: :bugeye:

Evo
Mentor
Good job, Evo. Are going to make sure it pollinates by shaking ? The pepper guy in Oregon e-mailed me and said to always keep a fan on them, will that accomplish the same thing ? He also said to key a sharp eye under the leaves that's where aphids usually first appear and they will drink all the liquid from the plant as well as the roots. Aphids can kill a plant in less than two weeks untreated, he claims. He recommends NEEM oil for them. I haven't looked into it yet. I bet you will have peppers in about another two to three weeks, sooner if you can somehow keep the plant at 80+ F during the day. I just sent him another 4 or 5 questions and if he responds I will post his advice. I will say one thing, he is an out of the box thinker.

Rhody... :smile:
I've tried to use Neem oil before, spent a fortune on it and all of my plants died. Bought a can of Raid house & garden and those plants lived. I will never use Neem oil again, the aphids loved the stuff.

rhody
Gold Member
I've tried to use Neem oil before, spent a fortune on it and all of my plants died. Bought a can of Raid house & garden and those plants lived. I will never use Neem oil again, the aphids loved the stuff.
Heh, heh, maybe the guy from Seattle is trying to wax the competition, what about the fan idea ?

Rhody...

Evo
Mentor
Heh, heh, maybe the guy from Seattle is trying to wax the competition, what about the fan idea ?

Rhody...
The fan is a good idea because it will shake the plant, similar to natural breezes outdoors. If you are forgetful, the fan would be the way to go to cause pollination, otherwise a good thumping/vibrating/shaking several times a day will guarantee pollination of peppers.

rhody
Gold Member
After you name it and become emotionally attached to its heat, beauty, charm, and wit, how can you or anyone you know possibly eat it ?!

Rhody... :!!) :yuck:

Why don't you just name him a normal plant name like 'Wayne' or 'Jeff'?

Evo
Mentor
Why don't you just name him a normal plant name like 'Wayne' or 'Jeff'?
Those are good plant names, but rather common.

I think I'm leaning towards Monique. She has the green going in her avatar, and the plant looks like a Monique, lush, vibrant, tranquil, with killer seed pods. :tongue:

I vote for rhody, too, although Jimmy is a nice name.
You beat me... and Jimmy.... to this response! Good job!

I'd put my vote to ZapperZ. Sounds just right for a good pepper

FlexGunship
Gold Member
I can't help but nominate myself!!

FlexGunship... often way over the top, too much for the average person to handle, with a preposterously awesome name.

Oh yeah, and narcissistic... I heard ghost peppers were narcissistic.

rhody
Gold Member
I can't help but nominate myself!!

FlexGunship... often way over the top, too much for the average person to handle, with a preposterously awesome name.

Oh yeah, and narcissistic... I heard ghost peppers were narcissistic.
Nope, but they don't suffer fools easily. They demand respect, ignore their heat (for all but a select few used to it like Turbo) at your peril. :biggrin:

Side note: I sent Ghosts to Rhody child's boyfriend in the 82nd Airborne. He was thrown for a loop. I warned him. Nice guy too. He took their heat a bit too lightly.

Rhody...

turbo
Gold Member
Nope, but they don't suffer fools easily. They demand respect, ignore their heat (for all but a select few used to it like Turbo) at your peril. :biggrin:
I don't think that Astro would have much trouble with ghosts, either. Once you have a steady relationship with habaneros (cutting, handling, and eating them) other chilies are less likely to surprise you. I remember many years ago when my sister and a friend were cutting up jalapenos for me for a cookout, and they were complaining that their fingers were burning afterward. I should have just chopped the chilies and avoided the drama.

Anyway, the ghosts have such a nice sweet flavor that it's no wonder they are popular in India. I haven't experimented with them as much as I should have, since their numbers are dwindling. I'm thinking that they would be wonderful in a vegetable stir-fry served over basmati rice. Bell peppers, celery, onion, garlic, and maybe some carrots and cherry tomatoes all WOK-ed up in peanut oil with ghosts.

Last edited:
rhody
Gold Member
So, Evo, do you have a name ? Or, have you given up the Ghost ? (pun intended).

Rhody...