Help me out with this physics problem

• Thread starter woolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves calculating the spacing between evenly-spaced uprights based on the frequency of a sharp sound heard by a man standing close to the railing. The formula for solving this problem is lambda = v/f, where lambda is the wavelength, v is the velocity (speed of sound in air), and f is the frequency. The speed of sound at STP is approximately 770 mph, which can be converted to m/s for use in the formula. It is recommended to include assumptions in the answer to the problem to ensure proper understanding and credit.
woolly
I have been scratching my head all night about this problem...

A man standing close to an iron railing consisting of evenly-spaced uprights makes a sharp sound and hears a note of frequency 640hz. calculate the spacing between the uprights. (speed of sound in air = 330m/s)

perhaps one of you can help me out with this problem...

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me that there is any relationship between the bars and the sound. But

[Tex] \lambda = \frac v f [/tex]
where
[tex] \lambda= {Wavelength}[/tex]
[tex] v= {velocity}[/tex]
[tex] f = {frequency} [/tex]

Is what you need.

Integral said:
It is not clear to me that there is any relationship between the bars and the sound. But

[Tex] \lambda = \frac v f [/tex]
where
[tex] \lambda= {Wavelength}[/tex]
[tex] v= {velocity}[/tex]
[tex] f = {frequency} [/tex]

Is what you need.

I get the problem. The sharp sound is a single discrete narrow pulse, and it echos of the bars, one after another, so that it's total return to the observer has the given frequency.

To solve this problem, there is one more bit of information you'll need to know, and that's the speed of sound, which if I recall is about 770 mph at STP (convert that to m/s). Use that for v to get the bar spacing. Don't forget it's round trip time you'll be working with.

I'm not 100% certain this is what the problem intends, so maybe you should desribe your assumptions in the answer to the homework problem. This way you can get credit even if the instructor intended something else.

What is the problem asking me to solve?

The first step in solving any physics problem is to fully understand what it is asking you to find. Make sure to carefully read the problem and identify the unknown variables.

What equations or formulas should I use?

After identifying the unknown variables, you should determine which equations or formulas are relevant to solving the problem. Make sure to select the appropriate equation and plug in the known values.

Do I need to show my work?

Yes, it is important to show your work when solving a physics problem. This allows you to double check your calculations and also helps others understand your thought process.

How can I check if my answer is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to use estimation. Round your answer to the nearest whole number or use scientific notation to see if it is reasonable. You can also compare your answer to the answer given in the back of the textbook or ask a classmate or teacher.

What if I get stuck?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes a fresh perspective can help. You can also try looking for similar examples in your textbook or searching online for helpful resources. Don't be afraid to ask for help from a classmate or teacher as well.