Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me out

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    Help me out!!

hello fellow science enthusiasts

I'm looking for some help from someone with serious knowledge of physics.

what i need is a someone to identify what this picture is

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5454/blueprintoflookingglass.jpg [Broken]

and someone to validate this statement or tell me if its just garbage

this all sprang from a discussion on a time travel theory that has been circulating the last few days on the net. . . while i don't buy the theory i don't buy this pseudoscience professors jargin. Though not being a professional i cannot say with certainty if it is legitimate or hoakem. . .

thanks in advance
    aeris

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2
    Re: Help me out!!

It's pretty funny, but it's a joke. This is not a technical drawing, for many reasons. Look at the points on the graph jumping erratically around a supposed curve : a scientist would provide error bars compatible with those fluctuations (for instance). Do you have a better resolution picture, so we could read the labels ?

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3

the funny thing is, it looks like some kind of computer-generated 3D wireframe, which would make it recent. but nobody makes blueprints anymore. and all those unnecessary "wires" just make it too busy and irritating to look at for something that appears to be some kind of system/overview drawing. ugh, it's ugly.

5. Jan 22, 2010 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't say anything much about this, cus I don't really recognize what it's saying most of the time, but when I see this quote:
    I smell BS. This sounds to me like a violation of the second law of thermodynamics. I'm not 100% on that tho.

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5

Looks like something out of a sci fi movie to me. It looks like its been made to look pretty more than anything.

The description of the devices operation also seems rather reminiscent of the movie Primer.

7. Jan 22, 2010 #6

lol @ the two graphs up top. to make the second, they just inverted the first and resized it. lazy.

8. Jan 22, 2010 #7

Can't you see it says "confidential and not to be disclosed"?

Great, now nsa will be tracking all our phone lines. :grumpy:

9. Jan 23, 2010 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was my immediate reaction to seeing it too. Something they'd pop up on a wall-sized screen (maybe not even a screen, but a hologram) in a sci-fi or spy movie.

10. Jan 23, 2010 #9

funny--did anyone notice the smaller second graph at the top is just the first one turned upside down?

nevermind==proton did

the 'neutron flute projection' sounds important:bugeye:

11. Jan 23, 2010 #10

Whoah, dude! It's a quad-core!

Looks kinky.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook