1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me please sos

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    Help me please!! sos

A man pushing a mop across a floor causes the mop to undergo two displacements. The first has a magnitude of 167cm and makes an angle 161 degrees with the positive x- axis. The resultant displacement has a magnitude of 168 cm and is directed at an angle of 37.6 degrees to the positive x- axis.

Find the magnitude of the second diplacement?
    Find the direction of the second displacement with respect to the positive x-axis.( Consider counterclockwise to be positiveand answer within the limits of -180 degrees to180 degrees)
    Now I have attempted this numerous times from many different views but have failed miserably. I enetered in as the online homework an got it wrong all 7 times only to find out that the answer is 294. Could someone please help me figure out how to solve this so that i may continue to the next problem, because it is a play on this one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

What is the x-component and y-component of displacement 1?

What is the x-component and y-component of net displacement?

x-componnet of displacement 1 + x-component of displacement 2 = x-component of net displacement

y-componnet of displacement 1 + y-component of displacement 2 = y-component of net displacement
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?