Solving Forces and Acceleration for a System of Masses

In summary, the problem involves two masses, F_1 and F_2, connected by a rope with mass m_r. We assume that F_1 is less than F_2 and that friction and the rope's mass are negligible. The questions ask for the acceleration, the force exerted on mass 1 by the rope (T_1), the force exerted on mass 2 by the rope (T_2), and whether T_1 and T_2 are equal in magnitude. When additional values are given (M_1=12 kg, M_2=5 kg, F_1=5 N, F_2=15 N, M_r=2 kg), the answers for parts 1,
Faiza
In this problem (open the attachment to see the picture):

*We assume F_1 is less than F_2
*We assume that friction is negligible
*We assume that the rope has a mass m_r not equal to zero

Q1.What is the acceleration? Choose a coordinate system and include the
direction of the acceleration in your answer.

Q2.What is the force exerted on mass 1 by the rope, T_1?
Q3.What is the force exerted on mass 2 by the rope, T_2?
Q4.Are your asnwers to 2 and 3 equal in magnitude? Why?
Q5.Now assume that M_1=12 kg
M_2=5 kg
F_1=5 N
F_2=15 N
M_r= 2 kg
Repeat your answers to parts 1, 2 and 3 using these values.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to post up my wrong asnwer someone please check it after

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 212
Physics news on Phys.org
any one?/

Please post what you've done, and we'll check it for you.

Do you get 0.526 m/s^2, 12.37 N and 11.32 N ?

would the acceleration be a= F / m1 + m2

F12(the force exerted on by m1 on m2) = (m2/m1+m2) *F

can someone please help me figure this out ?

i realll need hellp omg this is so hard for me

help i still didnt get the same answer

i really need help now

1. How do you calculate the net force on a system of masses?

To calculate the net force on a system of masses, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the system. Then, you can use Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) to calculate the net force by adding up all the individual forces acting on the system.

2. What is the relationship between acceleration and net force in a system of masses?

The relationship between acceleration and net force in a system of masses is directly proportional. This means that as the net force on a system increases, the acceleration of the system also increases. Similarly, if the net force decreases, the acceleration also decreases.

3. How do you determine the direction of the net force in a system of masses?

The direction of the net force in a system of masses is determined by the direction of the individual forces acting on the system. If the forces are in the same direction, the net force will also be in that direction. If the forces are in opposite directions, the net force will be in the direction of the larger force.

4. Can the net force on a system of masses ever be zero?

Yes, the net force on a system of masses can be zero. This occurs when the forces acting on the system are balanced, meaning they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. In this case, the system will either remain at rest or move at a constant velocity.

5. How can you use the equations for net force and acceleration to solve for unknown variables in a system of masses?

To solve for unknown variables in a system of masses, you can use the equations F=ma and ΣF=ma to set up a system of equations with the given information. Then, you can solve for the unknown variables using algebraic methods. It is important to pay attention to the direction of forces and acceleration when solving these equations.