Help me please!

• Thread starter satisji
  • Start date
To everyone who is noticing it, its my sincere request to help me in providing some ideas about what I can do. I am actually a first year student of B.E. in Mechanical Engg. There always has been a big interest of mine in Physics; whatever comes up, it just fascinates me, if its Physics.
Now I want to do something significant, something thats bold and big. But I cant jump into anything, i need a point from where I could start. I am desperate to get a workable project/research idea. So if you're reading this, then please give me some. Anything would do.
Please.

Satishchandra Salam

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Have you contacted professors about getting involved in their research? That is the best place to start.

Now I want to do something significant, something thats bold and big.

I don't know exactly what you mean by this but if you mean you want to do something that is going to change the world in some major significant way you are probably going to be severely disappointed. Very few people ever get to work on research that is going to revolutionize the way people think/do things. I am not saying you will never get a chance but its extremely rare, especially since you are only a first year undergrad. A lot of research is working on problems most people outside of your area don't even know exist. That doesn't mean its not important it is just the way things are.

Okay, whatever may be, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Its just that I'm desperate about it. Anyway, thank you.

What are you desperate about? You are a freshman in college. You have plenty of time to get involved in research. Talk to your professors.

Just that I wanted to have a start. The college syllabus is very much boring with their straight lines upon what we should do, or what we shouldn't do. If I have a starting point, then I will be somewhat at ease.

Just that I wanted to have a start. The college syllabus is very much boring with their straight lines upon what we should do, or what we shouldn't do. If I have a starting point, then I will be somewhat at ease.

You probably need to learn about straight lines before you can break them with confidence.

Even Einstein had to go to university to learn his trade.

That said as said, just take an interest in someone's work on the university site and see what happens from that.

Thank You very much.
I'm really surprised by the response that I'm getting here. Its really helpful.
Thank you again.

@RandomGuy88, does me being a novice mean that I wouldn't be able to do anything that I was talking about?

@RandomGuy88, does me being a novice mean that I wouldn't be able to do anything that I was talking about?

I see no reason why you couldn't help with experiments or any areas in and around if they are willing. But yes you probably wont have the education to formulate anything too rigorous, but why is that a problem you will be exposed to people who can, surely that is very worthy in and of itself. Anyone can be a guinea pig too, even laymen, of course this depends on the nature of the research. You have the right attitude I think, but whether it pays of is in the hands of the gods. :smile:

This is just me personally but if some Undergrad asked me if they could hang around, do some grunt work I'd be pretty thankful. I have some experience of working in scientific research areas, and these people are usually very busy. Even talking about there work and explaining it in very basic terms is a help to not just you but them. Most of these people are living their dream. :smile:

Don't get your hopes up too much, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Last edited:
I'm lost.
I was looking for some research topic upon which I could work, and by now the thread has gone up-to this. Nevertheless these are really really helpful- a big impact upon my approaching attitude.
So what can I do, and what should I do?
(A little air of frustration is coming up.)

I'm lost.
I was looking for some research topic upon which I could work, and by now the thread has gone up-to this. Nevertheless these are really really helpful- a big impact upon my approaching attitude.
So what can I do, and what should I do?
(A little air of frustration is coming up.)

Dude you have a very good attitude. Ask and see how it works out. We can't tell you what the future may hold, well not yet but if my probability theory plays out it may well be possible. Watch this space. :wink:

Let us know how our advice pans out though. As yet this is at a point where you can but try. You could end up coming to the attention of people, and securing a post grad position in future and then who knows. You could end up nowhere, but life isn't all that predictable. Well yet see above. :tongue:

Thanks for the complement. For those big lines and ideas.

But still I cant laugh, for it has made a change that I've never percieved. Just like that.