1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Me Please

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know how to calculate Electric Field Energy????????
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is generally best to post the entire problem you're having trouble with, followed by your thoughts or attempts at a solution, followed by any specific questions you have.

- Warren
  4. Apr 27, 2005 #3
    Ok we are given that it deals with the classical hydrogen atom and it has a single electron fixed in orbit aroudn the proton with the bohr radius which is 5.29E-11m. We were told to find the Electrical Force, The Gravitational Force, The ratio of those forces, The velocity of the electron, The electrical potential arising from the proton, The electrical potential energy, and the total mechanical and electrical energy. I found all these with no problems but than it goes on to say "An improvement of this classical mechanical model of the atom involves the energy density of the electric field in a region of space. Find the total electric field energy for the electon and proton assuming that each one has a radius of 1.00E-15" That is where I dont know what to do I know how to find the energy density but that is not what he is asking. Do I need to find the electric field or what?
  5. Apr 27, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you need to find the electric field. It looks like you are asked to assume that the electron and proton are uniformly charged spheres, and required to calculate the electric fields using Gauss' Law and superposition. The energy density at a point can be calculated from the field there. I'm sure your text has a section on the energy density.
  6. Apr 27, 2005 #5
    Yes it does that a section on energy density I have read over it a few times just could not figure it out. I beleive I will be able to figure it out from there Thanks Alot
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?