How do you pronounce RS 232 in aviation?

• Thread starter Pronounc3r
  • Start date
In summary, RS-232 is a type of technology used in older printers that was advertised by Commodore as "Advanced One-Wire Technology." There is debate over how to pronounce RS-232, with some saying "two-three-two" and others saying "two-thirty-two." It is also pronounced differently in different countries, such as "ar es ni san ni" in Japan and "er es dwieście trzydzieści dwa" in Poland. In aviation, numbers are typically pronounced as single digits to avoid confusion, but in French it is more natural to say "deux trente-deux" instead of "deux trois deux."
Pronounc3r
RS 232, should it be as /ar es two thirty two/ ?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Pronounc3r said:
Thank you
Yes. Long after 8-bit parallel printers were available, Commodore advertised some older printers as having "Advanced One-Wire Technology". That was RS-232.

By the way, how do you pronounce Pronounc3r? /pee ar oh en oh yu en see three ar/ ?

Last edited:
I've only ever heard it pronounced as "... two three two", never "... two thirty-two".

DrGreg said:
I've only ever heard it pronounced as "... two three two", never "... two thirty-two".
My experience is the opposite. I've never heard it pronounced as "... two three two".

I think it's "two-three-two" in the UK and "two-thirty-two" in the US - along the lines of "6 and 2 threes" vs "6 of one, half-dozen of the other".

Pronounc3r said:
Thank you

I've worked in computers with people from several countries, including the US, S. Korea, UK, and Germany, and I've only heard it pronounced RS two-thirty-two.

In Japan it's pronounced /ar es ni san ni/.

/er es dwieście trzydzieści dwa/

Borek said:

Oh stop that! Now you're just teasing.

Danger said:
Oh stop that! Now you're just teasing.

Not if he's from Poland, he's not. They never tease.

Last edited by a moderator:
mugaliens said:
Not if he's from Poland, he's not.

Well, that's easily verified just by taking a look at him. Where the hell else could he be from, now that Dr. Seuss is dead?

Borek said:

And how do you pronounce that?

ben niehoff said:
and how do you pronounce that?
rs-232

Ben Niehoff said:
And how do you pronounce that?

Jimmy Snyder said:
rs-232

:rofl::rofl:

Jimmy: This year too, you will have to fight for not getting nominated for the best humor award.

Go to http://www.ivona.com

Select Polish flag on the left. You may select one of the names, but you don't have to.

Enter rs-232 into the edit field.

Click Czytaj (Read).

Borek said:

That's pretty amusing. Naturally, the first thing I did was made it curse. :P

In aviation, every number is pronounced as a series of single digits. That way, there is no confusion between say, "fifty" and "sixty", which could sound the same on radio.

But in French, it's easier and more natural to say "deux trente-deux" ("thirty") than "deux trois deux".

What is the purpose of "Help me pronounce this"?

The purpose of "Help me pronounce this" is to assist individuals in correctly pronouncing words or phrases that they are unfamiliar with.

How does "Help me pronounce this" work?

"Help me pronounce this" typically involves either a written or audio guide that provides the correct pronunciation of the word or phrase. Some tools may also include visual aids, such as mouth diagrams or phonetic spellings.

Are there any limitations to using "Help me pronounce this"?

While "Help me pronounce this" can be a helpful tool, it may not always be accurate or provide the most natural pronunciation. It is important to also listen and practice with native speakers to fully grasp the correct pronunciation.

Can "Help me pronounce this" be used for any language?

There are many tools and resources available for a wide range of languages, but not all languages may have the same level of support. It is best to research and find specific tools for the language you are trying to learn.

Is "Help me pronounce this" only for beginners?

No, "Help me pronounce this" can be useful for learners at any level. It can also be helpful for individuals who are learning a new dialect or accent within their native language.