Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me prove that functions u and v must be constant in D

1. Jun 13, 2004 #1
    Ok, so let us suppose that functions u(x,y) and v(x,y) are harmonic in a domain D. Thus uxx+uyy=0, and vxx+vyy=0. In addition, v is a harmonic conjugate to u. Thus ux=vy, and uy=-vx.

*Note ux= partial derivative of u with respect to x, vx=partial derivative of v with respect to x, and so on.

I have to use all of this information to show that functions u and v must be constant throughout domain D.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't prove it: it's not true.
    From ux= vy, it follows that uxx= vyx and from uy= -vx it follows that uyy= -vxy so that any "harmonic conjugate" functions MUST be harmonic. In particular, if u= ax+ by and v= ay- bx, then uxx= 0, vyy= 0, ux= vy, and uy= -vx for all x,y but u and v are NOT constant. Are you sure you haven't misplaced a sign in your problem?
  4. Jul 24, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

I think what is true is that if a harmonic function has a local maximum at a point in an open domain then it is constant, and this follows from the integral formula for harmonic functions, analogous to cauchy's integral formula for holomorphic functions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?